DAVE HANDA---YOU WERE RIGHT !!! | FerrariChat

DAVE HANDA---YOU WERE RIGHT !!!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TOM B, Jan 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    For the last 3 years I have had an intermittent problem with my tach. It would read 1000 rpm lower than actual. Dave always told me it was the tach and that I should send it to Palo Alto in CA. I insisted that it wasn't the tach. My proof being that I installed an Autometer tach that I had laying around it it still read low.

Well I tried it again and the Autometer tach still read low. But this time I noticed that it read exactly 1/2 the actual RPM . Then it hit me. I had set the switch in the back of the Autometer tach for 8 cylinders. The 3.2 engine, having 2 coils and 2 distributors, is actually 2 4 cylinder engines. I reset the switch to 4 cylinders and it's reading perfectly.

The Veglia tach is going to Palo Alto soon. Thanks Dave. I shouldn't have doubted you.

Tom

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not me Tom, the true mechanics who helped me fix my car when MY tach went south (I got the info from three sources!). They told me that the 3.2 engine tachs all fail eventually....something about a component on the circuit board on them that fails. When I inquired at Palo Alto Speedometer, Helmut knew exactly what I was talking about, convinced me. Anyway, should be a quick fix, once you get it out of the dash. Easy on my 328...not so sure on your Mondial... My only concern is are they just replacing the bad component so it will fail again, eventually? Or are they really analyzing the problem and fixing what is wrong with the circuit? I'm kinda figuring the former, rather than the latter. :(
    But so far so good, been 8 months...