David Piper restores the Talacrest P4 | Page 122 | FerrariChat

David Piper restores the Talacrest P4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Streetrod, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Indeed. Why is it even a discussion? Of course the Piper P4 is not a genuine Ferrari.

2. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #3027 PSk, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    Mate, do you live under a rock? :D

It is a well know fact that #0900 was built with the spare (mechanical) parts that were part of the #0858 package. BTW: #0858 never went to New Zealand, McKay is an Australian not a New Zealander. The 250LM that he owned did race in New Zealand but not the Can Am car, unless he left that out of his own book that I own ... or I missed it.

Also as all these parts were spares for #0858 either engine is correct for #0858 IMO.
    Pete

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Pete
    I must be missing something here. How can two engines both be right?

4. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #3029 PSk, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    It's a racing car not a road car. When racing, cars often have many spares.

When David McKay bought #0858 from Ferrari, not only did the car arrive but also a container of spare parts. David was mightly impressed. Those spares are part of the package of #0858 that he bought and were sold on to the next owner of #0858.

You don't honestly think that any current or old/historic F1 car runs with only one engine all season do you? :D

Who knows which engine or anything else was in the car when it was raced during it's CanAm races and when David raced the car, etc.
    Pete
    ps: We must remember that the chassis is what identifies a car. This has been proven in law many times and this is why #0900's situation is complex ... the owner of #0858 owns the chassis and whatever engine he put in it, even a Chev v8, it is still Ferrari #0858, just bastardised. Now if somebody takes one of #0858's engines and sticks it in a Chev, that does not make the Chev a Ferrari let alone a P4.

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think if the car raced at Le Mans they stamp the engine and gearbox and record the number (I think ... don't take my word for this). Therefore if you were able to get hold of this information and had a selection of engines to choose from you could install the engine and gearbox that was used for that race.
    Pete

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is a reminder to everyone that this thread is about 0858. The debate over the authenticity of Jim's 0846 is confined to this thread:

The (one and only) '0846' Debate Thread

As well, instead of side-tracking this thread with an extended discussion of 0900, those of you who are interested should start a separate thread.

The 0846 debate posts have been moved to the other thread.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good shootin', El Wayne!!

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Correct. That information is in the Le Mans Scrutinizing Documents which as I said I have a full copy of for 1966 and 1967. The P4/ NOT 350 Can Am engine that ran in 0858 at Le Mans in 1967 as per it's serial number stampings are noted in that document.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  11. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Sorry for the mistake. I was thinking of Jim Palmer who McKay brought over from NewZealand to drive car in Australia. Your comment about 'live under a rock". As you seem to live in a green house be careful when throwing stones. Broken windows let in fresh air.Breathe some of it and you might be able to follow the logic placed before you. tongascrew

12. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I am assuming the scrutinizing doccumets show matching numbers for 0858 chassis and engine.Could it be possible that these engine numbers were changed.S.F had done it before at LeMans and on new/used cars to be traded sold.Do we know the engine s/n at Brands Hatch July 30.We still don"t have a record of the engines that went into the Can Am 0858 or the two engines that went with 0858 to McKay. then to Hawkins. Finally what is the s/n of the engine in 0900 and is this the engine from 0850? Does D.P know? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say. tongascrew They

13. TZ 750

TZ 750 Formula Junior

Jul 18, 2009
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4-sponsored-vintage-driving-machines/439633-piper-p4-0900-just-what.html

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Tongascrew, I apologise for my use of a little NZ/Australian language terms but I've told you this before :). One of the best books my wife has bought me and as written by McKay (he became a journalist) I put stock in what he says ... although I'm only really interested in his 250LM.

Unfortunately the flowery language is 100% part of who I am so I'll keep using these terms whether I like it or not,but will try and step outside my green house and breathe some of that fresh air ... I hope the logic that you are placing before me is not that the rebody of #0858 was a good job. If it was this thread would have ended years ago.
    Pete

15. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Any word on where and how the new body was found? And what body it is?

16. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    So, if i collect up all the COPO Camaro parts I can find and build a COPO Camaro, it's legit, Chevrolet produced? I can get blueprints and all the specs to do so. It doesn't add up. It's still going to be a Tribute, or Replica. Only the factory can produce the original.

Perry

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Until we have common definitions for terms like tribute, homage, continuation etc there can be no resolution. Original though should be a term we all understand.

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Seems like an apples and oranges comparison. It's a bit different when the parts and blueprints were supplied by Ferrari and the construction was (reportedly) endorsed by the factory.

19. GBTR6

GBTR6 Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2011
    Titletown, USA
    Full Name:
    Perry Rondou
    Maybe, but it's still not made wholley by the factory, and out of collected, albeit original parts. I could get all the correct date coded parts, and voila, a correct COPO Camaro. Even back in the day, it wouldn't be the same car as a factory built original COPO. Seems the same, just need the Okey dokey from the factory. Seems that if you want to control your brand, you wouldn't grant that kind of permission. Otherwise, everyone and their brother could do it.

Perry

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The difference is that David Piper's P4 was allegedly given the okey dokey by Enzo Ferrari himself and allocated the 0900 Ferrrari factory chassis number.

21. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Well put.Whome ever "perry" is needs to spend some time getting to know who Enzo Ferrari really was. how he did business, what was really important, or not, to him.He marched to his very own drummer.Also times were very different back then. Only when understanding this will"perry" and others understand that the deal with David Piper should come as no real surprise. tongascrew

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    No. you aren't missing anything. Technically there is only one engine block that is correct for 0858 but don't be surprised if it is not anywhere near original. tongascrew

23. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Nobody would understand how the old man operated better than the company he founded and nobody would understand how the company operated back then better than the company itself.

The company gave 0900 to another chassis whilst Enzo was very much alive and involved. Given that, what sort of reception do you think the company would give Piper's 0900 if Piper or a future owner wanted to classiche it?

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess

25. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Hi,I am pleased that your flowery language is just that. May I refer you to several previous posts by me where I express reservations about parts of the body work which could easily be corrected. tongascrew