David Piper restores the Talacrest P4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

David Piper restores the Talacrest P4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Streetrod, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    David Piper will do an excellent job and I am certain the car will resemble the original item. I would take a guess that the car is pre sold to a buyer who has commissioned JC to have the car returned to P4 specification......

2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I didn't get that impression watching the video, the part where he is discussing the value of 250 GTO's and then saying that the P4 is much rarer, and that historically they had always been worth more than GTO's.
    In fact I reckon the youtube video's are part of the sales strategy, laying the groundwork to establish the provenance of the project.
    The also have 2 page ad in the recent Cavallino, which is mainly about this car.

To me it all seems like marketing, if it was about the restoration then the "new owner" would have featured with Piper in the vids. (instead of Collins)

M

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The car is currently listed for sale in Talacrest's stock and is not marked as SOLD.

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    and 350 Canam's even rarer than that.

Sometimes I don't understand the world.

5. Chaos

Chaos Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Cardiff. UK
    Full Name:
    Nick.
    if its JC/Talacrest making all the decisions Paul then yes i totally agree.

however to a new owner then the pros and cons of a car thats useable on the road/track as opposed to just the track not to mention one thats recognisable throughout the world and renowned as one of the worlds most beautiful racers then perhaps things could be viewed somewhat differently

6. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    There is a certain very well respected and opinionated contributor missing from this thread which is an extention of a long standing discussion. I think we all know who I am speaking of. Well if anyone was going to stick his head out and in my opinion do the right thing it is David Piper who has accumulated more hours over the years and decades than anyone with these P series cars. This car was never a success as a CanAm car for which it was nothing more than an afterthought by S. F. who gave no real in depth support to.I am very pleased that David Piper is going the return this car to its original greatness when it was designed to be an important part of the Ferrari racing program with significant successes in important events to its name. As only an afterthought its value in the market place will also be greatly enhansed.I might be tempted to buy a MegaBucks ticket. tongascrew

7. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Really? In 2012 0858 is not a P4 and has not been a P4 since a very long time. Putting a fake body doesn't change that. As simple as that.

8. penelope pitstop

Dec 1, 2006
    Your place or mine
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I get the impression you have never met John Collins...... Please think £££££[/QUOTE]

Your comment may have gone over many heads, but I assure you it made me LAFF

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I get the impression you have never met John Collins...... Please think £££££[/QUOTE]

No, I have never met Mr Collins but I say well done to him for negotiating the purchase of the car from Walter Medlin and having the balls to undertake this project with David Piper to revert the car back to its original form that many would like to see. Regarding the "Please think £££££" I say good luck to him as the project obviously involves a huge sum of money being tied up for a long time and is not without risk.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Having read many of your posts I am somewhat surprised at this, I would have thought you would be in favour of keeping it as a Can Am, as that is the orginal Ferrari body given to the car by the factory, this body being put on it now isnt not a factory body and dare I say it and with all respect, is this a lot different from creating a 250 GTO from say a GTE, yes this car was a P4 to begin with but as other have said it hasnt been one for a long time, why not keep it as a Can Am?

The Can Am did have a fair bit of success and represents a unique chapter in Ferrari's history definately one worth keeping in my opinion.

I think its interesting to compare this restoration in ethos to that being conducted on 0854....

Whatever the outcome of this David Piper restoration the end result is going to be very interesting indeed.

11. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Does the world need another P4? Probably.

I think this one was inevitable, but that's not saying I would do the same. Tough call.

12. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I would keep 0858 as a Canam and revert it to the Team Gunston colors. That was a cool car.

13. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Dont wish to sound clever or rude but as previously said.....You have obviously never met John........

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Would have been great if that had happened!

15. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The P3/4 is one of the best looking cars ever!!
    but this isn't a P3/4 anymore..

should have been kept as a can-am, it would have been the only one left, which makes it one of the rarest ferraris. Gunston livery would make it stand out on every lawn, circuit or garage.

Value-wise, I don't think value will go up, its a rebody..

Hans

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I also agree that to me it would have more value as a Can Am but they say value really is what the next person is prepared to pay. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds and the affect the P4 version has on resale.

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Well, knowing what someone paid for the last Piper car, this one is likely not going to break any records...

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    What was the last Piper car that you are referring to? Does anyone here know the asking price or are Talacrest inviting offers?

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Napolis's car.

20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    If 0858 wasn't born a P4 I would agree with you. It could be argued that the Can Am configuration was the "rebody", even if done by the factory, and the current project is taking the car back to original form. Yes, it is a shame that we no longer have a Can Am car. If people feel so strongly about this perhaps somebody could commission Classiche or Mr Piper to build a Can Am car around the body and Can Am bits not used in in the reversion of P4 0858? Is the Can Am body and the other Can Am parts being sold with the car?

21. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I think there is a fine line here, the car was rebodied by the factory and thats a big difference, furthermore had the orginal P4 body been around it would again be a different matter in my humble opinion.

Perhaps the biggest question is around the motivation for converting it back to a P4 vs having a very rare Can Am car.

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Please go back to 1967 starting with the Le Mans trials, then Monza,Spa,the Targa Florio and Le Mans. This coupe/berlinetta body is the original Drogo/Allegretti body installed by Ferrari. tongascrew

23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Carrozzerias did not use the english wheel. This P car will get an English rolled body. Imho the owner must do what he feels is good (for his wallet) Most traders/dealers would have done the same. Most will like the attractive coupe or spyder body P4.
    If you can afford this car you can always bring it back to CanAm. So chatters buy it!

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I wonder if it was considered by Mr Piper and Mr Collins to have used the body of 0860 worn on P4 0900 in the reversion to P4 configuration of 0858?

25. Ferrari 360 CS

Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    That is indeed an interesting question....