David Piper restores the Talacrest P4 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

David Piper restores the Talacrest P4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Streetrod, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very beautiful and History worth preserving...

2. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #127 Nurburgringer, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's a shame, if only because the Can-Am version was one of THE most beautiful shapes, ever (wouldn't kick a P4 outa bed either of course...).

Here here! Drive it on public roads, like this
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MZ3Rbhui7c&feature=g-vrec[/ame]

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    3 great cars on the page above. 0846, 0858 and the little 900kg 700hp Gardner Douglas.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #129 miurasv, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
  6. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Absolutely stunning.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Is that the same car that was up for auction by the IRS a number of years ago?

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Just read this whole thread and what a disappointment.

PDG

9. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I´ve been reading this thread and i´m really sad about what´s being done.
    Successfull or not, Can -am is also part of Ferrari's history and it´s unbelievable that someone would dare to destroy part of it. It´s a real shame this car fell into the "wrong hands"...and i say wrong because a real ferari enthusiast would have kept it for what it represents, instead of trying to turn it into something else, in order to get a bigger profit from it. I also cannot imagine why should this "new" p4 be more valuable than an original 350 can am....and yes, a say original because it was mad into one by Ferrari themselves.
    Just the other day i was thinking of buying an 1/18 scale model from this car and it´s a strange feeling knowing that scale models and pictures are all that will remai from it!!

11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Lets follow the money. HL sold his 330 Can AM with a replica 412P body for a nice price to another European and funded JC's buying of a 350 Can Am which they then tried to sell for stupid money. When that didn't work they commissioned DP to chop down it's original chassis and fit it with an incorrectly made replica P4 body and they are now offering it for even more stupid money. Kew

In the beggining of the thread it was said they tried to sell the original car for about 10 m....
    A GTO is probably worth about 20 m.
    I would assume a P car would be worth at least as much as a GTO if not more, depending on the model (Probably the car that won Daytona being the most valuable of them all).
    So i would like to ask you Jim, why do you say 10m is "stupid" money for this car?
    I'm far from knowing much about historic ferraris value but i someone asked me, i woul say 0846 is probably at the very top, above the GTO´s, and all the other P3 P3/4 and P4 should also be there, because they are a lot rarer than a GTo and also with a great racing history...so, why do you consider this 350 can am price to be exagerated?

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hey

Several years ago at the RM Factory Auction I bid 7.5 $. With fees to RM, US Customs, and our cost to do a total restoration I'd be all in at about 10$ for a very original 350 Can Am. I believe HL/T was offering the car unrestored for MUCH more than that. Now that it's been pathetically butchered I have no interest at all. What other's might pay who knows and frankly who cares.

Best

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Thanks, and i agree that the true value of the car will be significantly diminuished for now it will be nor an origial p4 nor an original 350...

14. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    What would Classische do ?

15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    In my opinion there was nothing that could or should have been done...they should just have left the car alone, as it was....In the end of the day, how many p4 original parts will the car have? Even the engine is diferent, are they going to revert that too?
    I ferrari themselves did the job, it would at least be done in the "correct way" but in the end i would stil be a wrong decision.

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari made it VERY clear before the auction that even if they made this conversion post sale they would NOT classiche this car as an original P4.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This thread is a bummer. No dog in the fight, but from what has been stated - and what I've read - converting this to a P4 is blasphemous.

I would think someone of Piper's knowledge and experience would have influenced this otherwise. Not for me to pass judgement since I don't have the kind of money to even sniff this car, but it's analogous to putting fart cans and wings on my 308.

18. Athanase

Athanase Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2007
    The place of this sad thread is in Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Piper has clearly shown over the years that he has no interest in history or what is correct. His 250LM has been continuously modified since he bought it and I believe by far the fastest 250LM on the planet because of this.

I will admit if I bought a 250LM (year right!) the first thing I would do would be to put the wire wheels on a storage shelf and run the mags as Piper does. The car is too modern for wire wheels.
    Pete

20. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I agree with much you say however there is quite a difference between reversable "enhancements" and creating an entire new body!

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I personally don't think Piper cares if his enhancements are reversable or not. They are just cars to him, not historical items.
    Pete

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    In twenty years somebody with more money will covert it back.

23. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Recent developments regarding a certain lawsuit might put some doubt to that claim.

24. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I wonder if DP will sell me that old Can-Am body for a couple of thou?

As I'm only part way through my "refresh" of my Series I 330 2+2, maybe I can just update it to Can-Am spec...