Daytona 365 GTB/4 Wanted | FerrariChat

Daytona 365 GTB/4 Wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jamesblawrence, May 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesblawrence

May 1, 2004
    I want to purchase a Daytona in excellent condition. Prefer fly yellow.

2. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent

look at www.ferraribuy.com

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey, Great to see another Daytona fanatic budding!

Keep us all appraised as to how your search goes. The hunt is half the fun, so you gotta share it! Tell us about the cars you see, what prices your seeing, post the photos......

Daytonas are tons of fun, good luck finding a great one. I'll post back if I learn of one.

Terry

4. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Good man !

Are you only looking in the US..?

If not, there are 3 good cars for sale in England right now (one ex-Eddie Irvine !) - though all RHD, and none yellow.

Let me know if you want details.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    James,
    You have a private message.

6. jamesblawrence

May 1, 2004
    We are looking for a clean and original Daytona coupe. Prefer fresh paint as all the original cars have worn out paint jobs. Car should be low miles in excellent mechanical condition with a clean interior and engine bay. We are looking for a driver not exactly a show car but one step below. We are located in the east suburbs of San Francisco (Alamo). Price $125K to $140k

Thanks

Jim Lawrence
    925-299-0080

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #7 Texas Forever, May 2, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jim, you might have to dig a bit deeper into the old pocketbook. A yellow Daytona just sold at RM in Houston for:

118 SAT 1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona $ 167,200 Yes

Here was the catalog description:

1972 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona

440bhp, 4,380cc double overhead cam V12, six Weber carburetors, five-speed manual transmission, fourwheel independent suspension and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 94.5"

Making its debut in 1968 at the Paris Auto Salon, the GTB/4 was well received by Ferrari fans and the motoring press. It was a worthy successor to the previous 275 GTB/4 and was quickly nicknamed ‘Daytona’ in recognition of Ferrari’s one-two-three win at the 24-hour race the previous year.

Pininfarina had penned very attractive lines for the prototype, which gave the new Ferrari aggressive and bold – yet handsome – lines. The best part was that it had performance to match. It would eventually go on to be one the last of the great front-engined Ferraris.

First production examples reached US shores in 1970, and featured a slightly different nose treatment than their European counterparts. European Daytonas had headlights set back behind a transparent full-width plastic cover, whereas US versions featured retractable headlights under two flush-fitting panels. Another difference was hexagonal-type wheel nuts on the US version versus three-eared knock-off wheel nuts on European models.

The Daytona was powered by Ferrari’s big 4.4 liter V12 engine, with four overhead cams and six 40DCN20 Weber carburetors. Output was a healthy 350bhp at 7,500rpm, giving the car the capability of doing zero-to-60 runs in just under six seconds, the quarter-mile in 13.8 seconds, and an impressive top speed of 174mph.

The stunning Daytona we have the pleasure of offering here appears to be original with the exception of the paint. It is finished in the original and desirable fly yellow exterior with a saddle and black leather interior to complement. Although there is no means to verify it, the overall condition would give support to the mileage being 33,994 miles as indicated on the odometer. Upon driving the automobile the writer finds it to be just what one would expect from a supercar - powerful, responsive and quite exhilarating. It is no surprise that the Daytona has earned the great respect that it has, with its sleek design and aggressive stance, it would be an ideal addition to any collection.

Here is a pic fo the car

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. jamesblawrence

May 1, 2004
    Is this car in Texas? city? What is the history? Is the price $167 or is that the price for the car that sold at the RM auction? What work has been done?

Thanks

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jim, I don't know anything about this car. I don't think that it was a local car. If you like, I can try to find out the chassis #. But it sold for $167, including buyer's premium, at the RM auction here Sat nite.

Take care, DrTax

10. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    Dale, did you let that one get away, or will you be driving it to Monterey?

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    DR TAX,
    Did that price include books and tools?

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You wish. If fact, I heard that it was your car, bug splats and all! (Just kidding.)

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I sure hope so. I'll try to find out some more this afternoon....

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    If you're looking at a USA car, make sure it has all the smog pump equipment.
    Trying to locate all that equipment is extremely difficult and expensive(I've heard approx $10k).

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Sportscar Market magazine arrived today.... I LOVE that rag!

They reported a very nice driver 1970 Euro Daytona coupe in red sold at auction for $154K. It was a plexi nosed car, if that makes any difference.

Prices are clearly on the rise, but you should be able to find a nice car in your price range. Now if you stuck on fly yellow..... it may require a premium.

Terry

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    drool........ slobber..... i love the plexi daytonas..........

17. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Edward,

I don't know where you are located, but here in NY I'm emission-test exempt. Cars older than 25 years only have the brakes inspected.

18. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    John,

I thought that the Irvine Daytona was a real dud. I read about it in Classic Car a few years ago when it was for sale. If I remember correctly, he never even drove the car.

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Edward,

Here in GA there is no emission testing of cars over 25 years old. I register my Euro Daytona for a flat $21 per year with no inspection of any sort required. The car has been in the states since the early 1970s and has never had any emissions equipment. It has been exempt since 1994, I dont know how it was dealt with before that, but there are lots of ways if you know what I mean :)

I read one ad on the Irvine Daytona that said it had just received over 30K pounds in restoration expense. Perhaps it is a dog no longer!

Terry

20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Regardless of state smog regs, the smog equipment has real value($5-10k).
    If one doesn't want it, take it off and sell it. It helps to decrease initial purchase price.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What's the story behind the "Irvine Daytona?"

22. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It was a rust bucket when I saw the add in the Classic Car mag. Even with the very small picture you could see that alot of the car had been eaten by the rust process.

His 288GTO would be the one to get as he actually used that car. I think the Daytona was bought simply as an investment and as you know the bottom fell at of the market. He probably got it for next to nothing ...

Pete