Daytona differences - gearbox | FerrariChat

Daytona differences - gearbox

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by redferrarispyder, Oct 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redferrarispyder

redferrarispyder Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2007
    The Daytona is famous for its Ferrari open gate shift surround but you do see quite a few with the covered up leather boot? how is this? did they come like this from new? aren't they well known to have an open gate?
    you also notice many uk cars have the central roof antenna compared to others around the world??
    notice it especially on UK cars

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #2 Wheels1, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    The boot over the gate was standard for RHD cars delivered around the world not just UK cars.

Most earlier cars that had a radio fitted had a roof aerial.
    My 73 car had a dealer fit electric aerial [ customers choice] fitted to the back wing, as they were the thing to have back in the day.

3. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    All radios were dealer fitments at that time and many people opted for a roof mounted 'whip' antenna. They were very common on 'better' cars such as Rolls Royce, Rover, Jaguar etc.

John

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I have always wondered why the RHD cars had the shifter boot and have never heard a reasonable explanation. The gated shifter, after all, was a sexy feature you found only on the Italian exotics and a selling point, why would you cover it? The only rationale I can come up with is that, the shift tower being fixed on the passenger side, the slots were too close to the passenger's fingers.

john