Daytona -Plexi vs 'pop-ups' | FerrariChat

Daytona -Plexi vs 'pop-ups'

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by paulyb, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Plexi-glass or 'pop-ups?

1. plexi-glass

2. pop-ups

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
    Insipired by posting on the Ferrarichat lurkers thread, which I have been for quite some time now, I've got the money together and am completely settled on a Daytona.
    I've seen a couple of great cars, and personally prefer the 'plexi-glass' model both from the look / feel of the car and also from the point of view of re-sale / desirability should the car not be 'a keeper' (or if I ever get lucky enough to be able to buy a 250SWB!!!)

Any opinions re. Plexi-glass vs 'Pop-ups' ?

2. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    The plexi glass models are a little lighter I believe - and rarer. I just think that plexi design looks a bit too 'kit car' to be worthy of a Ferrari.

As for desirability - do the plexi cars fetch higher prices..? Hadn't noticed that over here in England...

John

PS Can I ask for comments on my previous question again - are Daytona prices affected much by the car's colour...?

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    John, I haven't seen that much difference. Of course, most are red. But yellow seems to sell well. I imagine that blue would also do well. I did see a green one once. Not my cup of tea.

Take care, Dale

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Plexi is how the car was designed.

Popups are a US only variant.

Opinions vary. but it's one more thing to go wrong!!
    No the plexi is a cool look, IMO.

5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Plus, one other thing. Ferraris are easy to repaint in a different color because they always paint the engine bays and whatnot black.

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    At the Mt Dora (Florida) Festival of Exotic Cars show a couple of weeks ago was a Daytona Spyder with the plexiglass nose. Never recalled seeing a plexi spyder before. With only 123 factory-built spyders, was this car a "cut" early coupe? Owners can be really sensitive about this issue so I didn't ask. I'm sorry I didn't snap a picture of it.

KevFla
    orlando,fl

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The first Spyder was Fly Yellow and had the plexi headlight cover. The car came to California and may still be there. The plexi front is more pure Daytona and the later front style is more subdued. Ferrari tried to create the plexi "look" on early USA Daytona models with a brushed aluminum panel covering the headlights. What color combination was the Florida Spyder? Thanks.

8. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Clearly Im a fan of the plexi nose, however I can tell you that with the plexi nose the "dim" position for the headlamps is a waste of time. You see ok on bright, you see nothing at all on dim. The plexi nose look is how the car was designed and I think its more pure and aggressive. That said, they are gorgeous cars either way. The pop-up headlamps were not US only. When the Feds mandated the change Ferrari switch to the pop-up lights on all cars produced. Im not sure exactly when the switch was made and I suspect for a period of time both versions were built side by side as parts stocks were used up.

As to color, I dont think it makes any difference. My car is red, but it was originally delivered in Dino Blue Metallic. The 308GTB I used to own was the same Dino blue and I really love that color. My Daytona was painted red in the early 1970s. At some point in the future if/when the car needs a complete repaint I will probably repaint it back to Dino Blue.

The prototype yellow Spyder was a plexi nose car, but Im pretty sure all the production spyders were pop-up headlights.

Does anyone know the exact number of plexi nosed cars built?

Paulyb.... good luck on the car hunt and hopefully a soon welcome to the Daytona clique :)

Terry

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Tspringer,etc,
    How do you know the Exact original color?
    Is there a paint code on an ID plate on the car somewhere?

10. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I voted plexi glass.

11. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

I have the factory build sheets on my car, along with english translations. Also, the original colors and options are listed on the heritage certificate available through the Ferrari Owners website.

https://www.owners.ferrari.com/cgi-bin/Feros/os/jsp/01_0_login.jsp

Terry

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  13. paulyb

paulyb Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    paul bellis
    Thanks all for the comments. Looks like most of you have reinforced my feelings

Tony, I think thats a competion Daytona, so probably a little out of my price range, but yes....its lovely.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I think on a comp daytona, the plexi looks fantastically aggressive, but from a pure aesthetics point of view, I like the lines of the pop-ups better.

--Dan

15. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm a BIG fan of the Pop-ups.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Isn't this kinda like a poll of "Blonde vs Brunette"?

Who cares, particularly with a body with such beautiful curves? :)

17. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    The prototype Spyder (yellow with black side stripe, shown at Frankfurt '69 I believe) was the only factory original Plexi Spyder - and most (hopefully all)owners would be well aware of that if they'd done their homework...

Have any pop-up cars been converted to plexi, I wonder...?

John

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    12815 was the prototype Spyder done in Fly Yellow.
    Perhaps as few as 150 Daytona models were the plexi version. The pop-up headlights first appeared on the Euro version coupe, as early as 13293. Later the USA prototype came along in the form of 13361 a coupe. Fixed lights were one option considered. 14383 was the first USA Spyder; long after the plexi version was replaced with pop-up lights. Regards CH

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I counted about 6 Plexi spyder conversions in the Serial # book. I have one of them, which I just bought to cruise around in this summer. I never thought of myself as the guy who would purchase a cut car, but it has turned out to be a plus, because I'm not as worried about getting whacked when I drive it.

Even though it's an obvious conversion, with a few clear differences from a real spyder, it's a blast to drive, makes all the right sounds, and registers high on the "fun" scale -a real good price/performer.

20. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Of the 70-something "real" spiders built, how many of the 300 that exist today have plexi and how many pop-ups?