Buy

Daytona ride-height and shock bushing work

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gcalex, Nov 14, 2021.

1. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So in the "Official Daytona Pics" thread, Timo commented that the right height of my car seemed to be off (too low), particularly at the front.

I speculated that the various rubber parts had likely crushed, and were responsible.

Well yesterday I actually (finally) crawled under the car to check it out. Turns out that all the bushes on the shocks were obviously deformed and the rubber seats of the springs look very compressed at the front (though did not look that bad at the rear).

I did not see any easy way to measure the compression of the rear springs without a 4-post lift, but at the front, the spring compression measured-out at about the factory-specified 205mm, though the center-to-center of the shock bolts was something like 305mm, so about 15mm short of the factory spec. Losing 4mm at each of the rubber points seems perfectly plausible, and is consistent with every rubber part that I could get a good view of.

So a couple of questions come to mind.

1) Does anyone know of a source for polyurethane bushes for the shocks (and for all the other bushes in the Daytona suspension, for that matter)? I used such bushes when I redid my 308, and really liked them. Energy Suspension has replacements for some of the bushes, but not the shocks (nor the majority of the bushes).

2) Is it possible to get the shock+spring assemblies out of the car without completely dismantling the suspension? While I realize that the other rubber is likely in need of replacement, I'm still uncertain about some of the finishes to use on the various components, and hate to do a complete teardown until I'm confident about what finishes to apply before reassembling.

All thoughts/experiences/sources are appreciated!

Daytonafan likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. dgunn365

dgunn365 Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    New London NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Our shocks are heading to the Koni people in Sonoma where we understand they will do "everything". That said we are sending along the eight new shock bushes needed as they were with the car as received. They have no markings so I cannot help there. And, they are rubber.
    As you know we are deep in the finishes questions; see Rory's thread. We are doing cad 1 ('silver') on the suspension arms but the calipers are an open question.
    My Australian friend Howard is going to split his calipers to check the finish. As you have probably seen Timo's photos have 'yellow' cad on many of the pieces.
    He does admit that he has not worked a plexi nose car.
    It is unlikely that the suspension needs to come apart to get the coilovers out; but I was not there when ours were done.

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    David my plexi definitely has nickel a arms. you can see it is peeling which cad or zinc does not
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Daytonafan and readplays like this.
  5. dgunn365

dgunn365 Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    New London NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Saw that and it is interesting as nickel is not part of our current conversation; yellow cad vs silver cad.
    Can you assume your are in their original coating?

6. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Absolutely for my car at least. This was also supported by several other owners in the post about plating recently

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    One thing I will add to the "nickel" discussion is that nickel is a pretty tough finish; even if the arms have been over-painted, it should be no problem to lightly strip the paint, and find the nickel underneath. Similarly, it would be hard for rust to completely remove all the nickel from all the arms. So..

...if the arms are original to the car, and have not been destructively refinished as some point in the past, there is is good chance you can settle the debate, by just carefully examining the arms.

Of course, if they have been restored aggressively in the past, then you won't be able to trust anything that you find.

9. 1monza

1monza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    From my experience, most Daytonas had a dull nickel finish on the A-Arms. For some reason some people have them yellow cadium plated or painted the arms a goldish color. I have seen both yellow cadium and silver cadium finished ATE brake calipers. The suspension hardware has a variety of types of plating. Rebuilding the suspension on a Daytona or similar is quite the job. I photograph and take notes because there are a lot of pieces.

10. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Regarding the finish of the arms, I always go back to this picture (that Steve Hill posted over a decade ago):
    [​IMG]

While I admit, that it is possible that the gold tint is just a trick of the lighting, my overall sense is that it is gold cad.

Personally, I'm trending toward copying what is shown here, as Steve claimed that this was from a 2k-mile car, though he did not specify the vintage, so don't know how applicable it is to my car...

11. dgunn365

dgunn365 Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    New London NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    Thanks for your input. We are well down the road with photo records.
    Back in another life I took over 600 poleroids of 12467 as I took it to bare metal.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. dgunn365

dgunn365 Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    New London NH
    Full Name:
    David Gunn
    The 'nickel thing got to us and we are considering that for the calipers. As I had done cad 1 on 12467's arms I am not yet sure we should do nickel there.
    We also note that the sway bar is black; but the bush bracket seems unpainted; the suspension attachments are 'silver; cad 1?? and the caliper does look gold. Cannot quite see what the swaybar link is, nor the suspension arm 'spreader. It is interesting to compare this to the front Timo did in post #1714.

14. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Dave Nickel is not suitable for calipers --- check with your vintage porsche guys

15. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've looked at a lot of pictures, and I feel like it is quite possible that the sway-bar brackets might have come in both gold and silver cad, but it seems unlikely that they were ever painted. Very early cars I know little about, but whenever those brackets are painted, there always seems to be plenty of evidence that the suspension had significant work done on them.

The suspension-attachments and drop-links seem generally to be silver cad, though I think some rare gold ones are not impossible. Again, painted examples always seem to look like they have been worked/redone.

The arm spreaders are a tough one; somehow the color of those guys never seems to be that clear in pics. One thing I've noted in that pic from Steve Hill, however, is that the end of it does not look to be black ox (compared to the ends of the other bolts), so that would seem to leave silver cad, or maybe nickel?

This nickel thing is really interesting, because nickel might well look tangibly different from silver cad in pictures, and maybe a nickel finish would explain the very obvious difference between the arms and the suspension mounts.

Perhaps while this is really on my mind, I should tear apart my suspension this winter, and find-out what is under all the black paint on my suspension. My guess is that I can find a stripper that will let me see what is under the paint, and with so many bits to work with I can try a lot of different types of strippers... :)