Dealers make it easy | FerrariChat

Dealers make it easy

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by benny, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benny

benny Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    Does it seem it's easy to purchase a 488 now when years ago you had
    to be previous customer or purchase a different ferrari first
    It it because they are building more cars and not enough buyers.

2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Duh.

Public company pumping out units.

Better cars from other brands and limited number of buyers.

F car dealers can't give 488's away--I've had more calls than I can count for 200 miles 2018 units with serious discounts.

ON the hunt for 458....

TheDiffuser likes this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Can’t give 488’s away? Hysterical.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    No it's actually sad. If you actually called dealers today you'd know what I'm talking about.

488 is fun car, but dealers have more new unsold than I've ever seen. It's not a secret. Like it or not.

5. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    This is exactly the situation I'm seeing regarding 488 units. The used 458 models (esp Spiders FWIW), are selling very quickly and those 458 cars have various low and higher miles.
    No slight on the 488-I think its part higher production, part competition and part that buyers are waiting for a 'major' release with the next model.
    IME it's also the fact the some other prestige brands seem to treat their customers in a better manner.
    I've never had such poor service from a dealership as I have from Ferrari. Very disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IPO1 likes this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well said and true.

LARRYH and BaronM69 like this.
  7. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    As you may know, the cars at the dealers are generally consigned. Your comments seem out of touch unless you are a current Ferrari owner. There is no dealer giving away cars - it may be that the owners are trying to unload their cars. No new cars are at a dealer unless someone has ordered one. It would not be surprising that dealers may be calling around to offer new orders. At present, there are less than 100 488 GTB and GTS for sale across the US. Not surprising that 458 models are selling - they are generally $250k and that attracts a certain clientele. The 488 models are generally $285k and more especially for spiders. There are very few buyers that are willing and or able to come up with $300K.

AClark and Viperjoe like this.
  8. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #8 IPO1, Oct 7, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Ordered and backed out. I'm obviously talking about 100 mile cars...those are nothing more than cars that got punched and titled and back to lot for sale. I understand how the game works, trust me. Those games are coming to an end as most people aren't willing to play the BS anymore. Buy a Lusso for Pista--please. Some will, most won't with competitors now out there.

Listen I really could careless, just giving info from what I've actually seen over the past month.

More power to whatever one wants to believe.

Baby Jocko, RWP137 and ScottS like this.
  9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    I have similar observations as well

IPO1 likes this.
  10. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Huh?

Nel1 likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its quite normal for dealers to change practices and seek customers toward the end of the particular series run. I have turned down new Fcar build offers under these circumstances as I'm sure many here have. The 488 is a transitional production model and soon to be replaced. They will want to switch over and pump out as many Pistas as possible due to the huge profit there for basically the same car. In the mean time, they have 488s that need to be built to meet prior sales projections for that model and cash will be king again for one at the dealership. Its not their fault though. Its the buyer community that jumps to every new release and build crazy expectations. The leaks are strategic and further build excitement and boom - there's a killer waiting list with all sorts of strategies to get one. Two to three years later count on a call if you made a serious offer or bought pre-owned. I would think this would be a great time for a deal on a low mile pre-owned 488.

dustman likes this.
  12. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Actually, my local dealer has 3 brand new, untitled 2018 488s on the showroom floor. The phenomenon is true...and yes, I'm a current 488 owner.

of2worlds, IPO1 and SoCal to az like this.
  13. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t know if the phenomenon is true or not, but I think the depreciation big has hit the 488 much more than previous versions.

I was offered crap for a trade in for a spider for my 488. Walked awy. Will just keep the car and enjoy it. Working on getting a Mclaren. I just don’t like dealer games. If they don’t want my money, I’ll buy another brand.

Coincid and iloveferrari like this.
  14. benny

benny Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    Are you willing to supply info, i would like to buy a spider if discount is enough.

15. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Well then you are one of the few.

16. benny

benny Karting

Apr 18, 2006
    Do you know if they are discounting, and the dealer is#

17. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Sounds like your local dealer has invested in some inventory. Not at all the case in Northern California. The only new 488’s that show up in the showroom are those that were ordered by a new owner.

338Lapua and boobernackle like this.
  18. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #18 boobernackle, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    This is mainly true, except when a customer orders a car, then walks away for various reasons. Dealers get around this limitation by using mules to order the car. You know those limited cars that are on consignment with only 50 miles and a huge markup, yup, that's them and was never a "VIP" customer, which is just dealer marketing. Here's an example:

Car has 108 miles when you know all Ferraris come with around 50 miles at delivery, that car likely never left the dealership's entity.

Keep in mind since the Pista has been introduced and delivery in the US is expected within 2-3 months, many future Pista owners are putting their 488 GTBs and Spiders for sale.

If you ordered a 488 with $75K+ in options, many of them having little on resale past a certain point, expect a hit. Portofino, Lusso and 812s don't have the expected demand . This is why their production has been shifted to the V12 assembly line. A Portofino prices in around a used 458 Spider, Lusso has always struggled and 812 has very polarizing styling.

Yes, the whole "must buy a Lusso to get a Pista" requirement was debunked by yours truly despite getting plenty of flame for it. 488 replacement won't be out until 1.5 years, with prior customers getting priority and add a few years on top of that depending on where you are with dealer history. Getting another Ferrari car before a 488 was never a requirement from Ferrari, only dealers. If dealer thought you were a pushover, they would bring it up for additional profit. Just like the Lusso/Pista story.

19. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private

Please just look closely at McLaren resale values. I’ve lost much, much more money on that brand than Ferrari. The 650 made my FF look like a good deal. Even the 675’s I still have have lost a good $120k each, minimum.

agentbb007, Caeruleus11 and IPO1 like this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Understood. Not saying Mclaren is Doing any better. Not trying to turn this into a Mclaren vs Ferrari thread.

21. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie

theplanner likes this.
  22. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    If you're turned off by depreciation, run from McLaren. 720's are a blood bath right now and going to get worse come dead of winter (at least wait until then to get one at $50-70k off). This isn't saying the car is bad, but do talk to many that traded in their 720 after a month or two--all said lack of engagement. I'm with you are the Mac allure, but don't bring in depreciation--it's makes Ferrari look like a GT3RS.

Not a F-car vs Mac...just be careful that's all. 720 is tempting and think there will be some amazing deals in the next few months that will make entry more enjoyable.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I keep hearing of this blood bath but not seeing it on used market. And yes, I’m not scared of the depreciation. Been watching the Mac market for years and know what I’m getting into.

IPO1 likes this.
  24. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Yes they do, but they have been doing this since day one. They also have a new Portofino and did the same with the Lusso. They are simply building inventory. Most of these cars will circulate back through the same showroom. Recently they have received back the first "demo" 488 they ordered.

25. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    cause the dealer suxs or your in a bad area for fcar sales ?