Defective panel on 720s | FerrariChat

Defective panel on 720s

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Muriwai White 720S, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Muriwai White 720S

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul McGowan
    So my dealer says I have a defective panel due to some corrosive defect and that McLaren will replace entire panel with brand new and paint to match. Anyone ever hear of this? Is this normal? They said it's a known problem that does happen. What do you think?

2. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    Where is the panel? I have not heard of this, but does not mean it is uncommon

3. Muriwai White 720S

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul McGowan
    Right front quarter panel. There removing entire panel replacing with new and repainting to spec. I'm a little nervous but dealer said it's not an issue or will it effect car value. Mclaren even willing to compensate for not being able to drive since they sent wrong panel 1st time. What do you think?

4. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I trust them, but I am confused. What do you mean they sent panel first time? Have you replaced this panel before?

5. Muriwai White 720S

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul McGowan
    Sorry. The 1st panel they sent was for 720 spider. Apparently there different, so now I have to wait for another panel to be sent from McLaren to get repainted and installed. I guess they do have some known issues and it's covered under warranty.

6. Edward

Edward Rookie

Sep 3, 2007
    If it gets fixed to original. What’s the concern. Should only be a concern if they were not willing to do it. Also what alternatives are there.

7. Muriwai White 720S

Jan 10, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul McGowan
    I agree. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't bs. I've never heard of this and was concerned about resale. They lose enough already. I'm very ocd so I hope they match everything.

8. morjo02

morjo02 Rookie

Mar 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Morales
    corrosive defect ?? I do not understand what happened ! How did you discovered the issue ? Paint issue ? How does this happen ??

9. 720lvr

720lvr Rookie

Dec 27, 2018
    Do you happen to have photo? How did the defect manifest? Paint bubbles ? Thanks and good luck.
    Hg

10. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    In my opinion this information does not instill confidence in my buying a 720s which is something I have been contemplating. The fact that they shipped the wrong part initially is another negative indicator for me. All this along with the windshield cracking due to being too thin gives one pause. The rapid depreciation due to models being changed often is discouraging enough. Read where there are some questing whether McLaren can even survive due to the Virus. I hope the company can weather the storm because they have been designing some great cars recently.