Dennis Barnhart, Eagle Computer RIP 1983, what fcar was he driving? | FerrariChat

Dennis Barnhart, Eagle Computer RIP 1983, what fcar was he driving?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by frefan, Nov 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Very sad story
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Computer

I remember working on the Eagle Compter back in the day. Anybody know what fcar he was driving on that fateful day? 1983, could have been a 328, or 288GTO, or ??

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Don't know model, but according to the NY Times Obit, it was red.

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #3 toggie, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    Google search comes up with numerous articles but not the model of Ferrari.

Referred to as a "red Ferrari".
    He bought it from Los Gatos Ferrari.
    Cost was approx. $70,000.
    It was not a new car, but new to him.
    Passenger was not killed in wreck but many articles claim he was.
    Went through a guard rail and ended up in a ravine near the Lexington Reservoir located above Los Gatos.

One such article here:
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E6DB143BF933A25755C0A965948260

4. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    If the cost was ~$70k, that would have been spot on for a Mondial in 1983.

-dsd

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    328 was 1986-89 model, could have been 308qv; 288gto was 84-85.

1983 models were 308qv, 400i, Mondial QV, 512i BB and 208 Turbo.

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    I sent a message to Barnhart's daughter on Facebook. She was kind enough to respond and tell me that it was a 1983 308 GTS QV. So that narrows the search down to what, around 500 cars?

WJHMH and daytona355 like this.
  7. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I remember when that happened. I lived in Los Gatos, and use to drive on University Drive, all the time. I think I remember being a 308, as the "top" was open in the pictures. THAT was a nasty crash, there should be pictures in the San Jose Mercury News.

8. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Okay, Dennis's car was 42413, which has since been converted to a 288 GTO. Anyone know about this car or own or used to own it...?

9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #9 Rifledriver, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
    I was involved in a minor way. The dealer I worked for, the City Of Los Gatos and Ferrari of North America were all named in the law suit. 1 person died, one lived. The dealer and I believe FNA were dropped from the suit as they should have been because the firm representing the soon to be exwife of the deceased were clueless and just threw stuff on the wall to see what stuck.

FNA was being sued for building an unsafe car, the dealer for not servicing it properly and the city for not designing the road properly. If any of you had a chance to read it or the questions asked in discovery you would have died laughing.

The injured person was a yacht salesman.

It is an interesting story but very long and to tell the entire thing publicly could possibly open me up to a suit of my own so I would really rather not. I will answer specific questions when possible if anyone is interested.

Mike, if you really want to know, give me a call.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Nov 16, 2008

Wrong. It was a Rosso Corso/Beige 83 308 GTS QV. The very first recieved by Walnut Creek Ferrari and was sold new to him. It was new enough at the time of the accident that the car had recently recieved its "A" service.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I find that hard to believe. I am personally very familiar with the remains of the car and there was not enough left to recreate anything. There was not one square inch of straight sheet metal. The drivers door was shoved through the car by a gaurd rail. The car slid and bounced a long way down a hill upside down and crushed the windshield frame and rear section of the Targa roof almost flat. and the chassis was badly twisted. There wasn't enough left to part out, much less rebuild except the engine and trans which were intact.

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Thanks Brian and Carbon; I think my questions have been answered. It was more of a curiosity thing, since I actually crossed paths with Dennis for a brief moment when I was working with IBM and we grew apart and I never even knew he died until I stumbled across some old news on the NYT. I wasn't really into fcars at the time, but was really into computers and did early work on CPM and the original IBM PC BIOS when I met Dennis. I was wondering what someone that stood to receive 9 million dollars (back then that was some dough) what kind of fcar did he buy, was it so powerful that it caused his crash, or was it something else. I later read in the NYT it might have been alcohol related. Very sad story when he had such a bright future (until IBM later sued his company for copyright infringement). I'm really stoked that Dennis must have felt that when his company went public on the very first day he was going to celebrate with owning a Ferrari. I'm sure he was really living it up and then for it all to go down like that its just horrible.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Did the tach needle and the vin plate survive? ;)

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #14 Rifledriver, Nov 16, 2008
    VIN plate was bent due to the gaurd rail/door interface. That area of the car was crushed. Tach needle I wouldn't be so sure about. Come to think about it, that area was crushed too.

Car really did look like it went through a crusher........After it was hit by the train.

Lots of 83's out there to resurrect. Not like it was a P3/4 or a Ford GT.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    His daughter doesn't seem like a Ferrari enthusiast, and even if she had reason to lie, I doubt it because the VIN checks out. She didn't just give me the serial number - she gave me a full 17-digit VIN. She has pictures, but is hesitant to scan and send any of them because of the obvious emotional involvement.

I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this. How do we go about doing that...?

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Carbon its pretty clear you need to go DEEP under cover ;)

17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #17 ryalex, Nov 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #18 Rifledriver, Nov 16, 2008
    I don't doubt her. At this point It makes me wonder what car that VIN is attached to now?

Have you ever seen this car with the 288 bodywork? I would sure like to see it. If given the chance (I doubt current owner would let me) I remember the damage well enough to look and see if there are frame repairs in the areas of great damage. It really doesn't make sense to go to the trouble though, that car was AFU. I bet the numbers wound up on another car.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I really don't see any reason to drag her through that. She must have been very young at the time. There are a number of things about the entire affair that she probably would rather not know if she doesn't already.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

19. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Wow this sure pulls skeletons out of the closet.

I do remember this event being on the evening news at the time.

Some things just never die!

20. Jwdwrd

Jwdwrd Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    #20 Jwdwrd, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
    Wow! - You guys, if you really want all the info I assure you I not only have volumes of pictures but ALL of the court records/docs/police/hospital and the like. Died laughing eh? -Not to tactful there and I have the docs that I am sure you do not. I appreciate everyone's candor in this matter, but truly there is not anything I do not know and could probably shed some truth on a lot of the misinformation you have read.

daytona355 likes this.
  21. Jwdwrd

Jwdwrd Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    Roof was not even on it - drivers door was sheared off- not put through the car

22. Jwdwrd

Jwdwrd Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    #22 Jwdwrd, Nov 17, 2008
    After reviewing the posts on the page there is so much information that is incorrect. If there is something further I can help with let me know as it is better to have the facts out there than something else. I assure you I am quite proud of my father's accomplishments, not only in business but as a man and father. Do not hesitate to ask anything you wish as I am sure you can understand I am very familiar with the case. The mounds of documents/photos and reports would overwhelm anyone - even not related to him, but it has been a long time and I didn't want you to worry about offending me. What does is the speculation and the misinformation.
    So for starters? Anyone want to see a pic of the gear shift showing reverse broken out, oh and let us not forget the paramedics and police reported he was not driving the car. I have knowledge people do not have of that day and could probably share much light on things. I would need to know how that fits into researching the car. I suppose the mechanics of the accident would show some things about the car itself.
    Again, please feel free to contact me or have some of these so called people that were "familiar" with it ask me themselves. I have already found numerous flaws in their statements and have the photos and records to prove it. And the "soon to be ex-wife" was not of the deceased- it was of the passenger- who I have also spoken with!
    Car was purchased from a close friend of my fathers who worked at Saratoga Sales & Leasing. Dennis had also purchased a 911 from him a year or so before but found it to be too cramped. According to my docs Saratoga Sales and Leasing are also who the wrecking yard released the car back to on Sept. 2nd. Interesting to see how it ended up in LA times from there as the family was told it was demolished.
    To my knowledge from the pics it does look like the vin plate would have survived- thinking it maybe did end up on another car? Hmmmmm....
    Jennifer

daytona355 likes this.
  23. Jwdwrd

Jwdwrd Rookie

Nov 17, 2008
    You don't need to worry about them laying- they have been awake for quite some time! :) Can't think of anything I wouldn't know already, but am quite sure I can think of things you don't! Thanks for trying to protect me, but I assure you I am fine with anything you need to ask.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #24 BigTex, Nov 17, 2008
    Welcome..Jennifer

Don't misunderstand some of the comments......

There are those that think every detail of every Ferrari (crashed or not) needs to be known, and some of the cooler heads here realize that sometimes that crosses the lines of personal privacy....

You now join the very small club of Ferrari descendents that have joined our "chatter" here to set the record straight....feel free to say as much or as little as you are comfortable with!

*Internet handshake*

My name is Alan....

It actually sounds like the question of the Original Poster has been answered but hang around if you'd like.
    I'm glad to hear the part about your Dad and Mom still being on good terms, at the time he was lost.....love is really all there is...

daytona355 likes this.
  25. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
    Welcome to F-Chat Jennifer...

Although it's been awhile... I'm sorry for your loss.

Mike in Kuwait

daytona355 likes this.