DES-- | FerrariChat

DES--

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by tonyh, Jan 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Been interested for a while in the "collectables" you and some of the others here have a thing for. I went to Autosport NEC exhibition @ Birmingham today and was AMAZED at the range and PRICE of some of these models..... It's a huge market.
    Tony

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Definately a sickness, like Pete Rose's gambling.

I have a HUGE collection of Ferrari diecasts, all years/scales. Major PITA to move. Think fine crystal, wrap, unwrap.

Finally, bought my 1/1 scale 1977308GTB, and don't have any more money to add to collection!

A girlfriend once observed, "You don't so much live in a house, but in a museum of motorsports." That was when I had the two racing carts in the middle of the living room, as well.

My last move took them out of chronological order. Now the Alfa Romeo from Enzo's early years sits next to the Mythos and 456GTs.

It'll take years to straighten this mess out!

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Speedy,
    do these models live in their boxes, do you have them on display?Some of the ones i saw today were nearly £100- for Hot Wheels!
    Tony

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It is quite a collection indeed. Speedy has possibly the largest collection of Ferrari dicast cars I've ever seen. Good luck sorting it all out, it's going to take a while.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Out of the boxes. Tried to retain boxes early on but volume became too great. Then the full size Fcar triggered a long simmering divorce!
    There was very little room in the dome tent for awhile.

They are contained in five glass front bookcases, five shelves each.

The bulk of mine are large 1:18 but across each of five cases is a shelf dedicated to 1:24, with the 1:43 across the front, with favorite models as the 340 Mexicos, the P3 and P4s, special dioramas, and such like that.

Thanks for the compliment, Will.

Someone broke into the storage at work where the racing carts were, and DIDN'T STEAL 'EM! I guess they were concerned with Ferrari reliabilty and took a Weed Whacker, instead. LOL

Following the suggestion on the occupation thread, I suppose.

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Speedy,
    do you have any pics of collection, pls?

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #7 BigTex, Jan 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do have, but have not scanned. I'm going to have to consult them to put 'em all back in place!

I do have some still in boxes, and have two more cases under construction by vendor. I'll try to get 'em on here.

You can drop by for a pint!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Tony... Everyday, i go home, i open the door, turn on the light and i see models... Models spanning the mantle, literally from end of the room to the other; models on the lower mantle & models covering two dressers... i've got posters on all four walls - to the point where if i get another poster, it's gonna have to go on the ceiling...! i have brochures, Prancing Horse issues, every FCA News Bulletin i've received since i became a member (minus 3, i have no idea where they went)... i have pictures i've taken, i have pictures given to me as gifts, i have framed pictures hanging on the walls, i have piles of magazines on the lower mantle, i have stickers, books and various other Ferrari-related things... With that said, i have one of the smallest collections i know of... If you go into the collectables forum, you'll see loads of stuff in there... i got into it seriously about a year or so ago and it's just crazy... The most i EVER spent on a model was $65 (and ironically, it was for someone else); i HAVE dropped up to $50 a pop on some models i bought at Exoticar in Manhattan... i'd love to go to an exhibit or show for models/model collectors, but i honestly don't think i'd be able to contain myself... i could easily spend 5 figures in the Exoticar store if i ever had the means... Easier still, if i did it on their website... Right now, i've got 50 1:18 scale cars... If you count up every car- 1:24, 1:32, 1:43, 1:59 & 1:64 - i've got close to 200... i enjoy it and i really enjoy finding great cars in "average" places, like at Target, Toys R Us or some other local place...

Do you collect models...? If so, we'd all love to see pictures of them...

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    DES thinks I have a lot of models....

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mule...!

Tony, i forgot about Mule...! Mule has a HUGE load of models... Over a thousand, for sure... He's posted plenty of pictures in the collectables forum of all of his stuff...

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Thank you, kindly, DES (Carbon). Here are some you haven't seen. The LaStoria Collection by Vitesse was intended to be 50 historic Ferrari F1 cars in special cases with a small booklet. They made 14, then Mattel got the Ferrari contract and they stopped. Last year Mattel released four new LaStoria cars (the four on top). I had hoped for all 50 to be made, but it looks like it may be dead.

12. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Mule,
    i'm impressed.....

DES,
    no i'm not a collector, just an observer of others collections. My two kids would have a field day if i started ...
    Speedy,
    if i'm ever in TX , i'd love a pint with you!

Regards all
    Tony

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mule, i second Tony's comment; i'm impressed... Nice cars, too... You have one of the coolest collections i've ever seen...