Designing new garage | FerrariChat

Designing new garage

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by JCaspar, Sep 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    I am looking for some advice on door spacing for a garage I am planning on in my backyard. Planing on 4 bays that are double deep. I was thinking of two 9' and one 18' garage door on the front with 5' spacing between them and the side walls (see drawing). Told at least one double door is a good idea. This makes it 56' wide. Was planning on 46' deep. 12' ceilings for a lift. Wondering if I need the 5' spacing but hope to be able to have some cabinets on the side walls and have room to open doors without worry about hitting another car or the wall.
    Some questions are: Should I space the doors closer (4') and have more on the sides (6')? Is the depth enough? Have 2 full size pickups would like to include a bathroom and sink somewhere too. Was thinking of a 2 or 4 post lift in one bay, probably the right 9'. Looking into 10' and 20' doors if possible. Interested in insights from anyone who has been through this process. Am taking to the designer next week. I am limited by the depth as have a max roof height of 16' (will be exactly this with 2/12 slope) and don't want a flat roof.
    (Second image is with with small bathroom, 2 full size trucks, lift and Tesla Model S)
    Would be grateful for any advice.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and anunakki like this.
  2. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You should post this in Silver. Several FChatters have done this project and some currently doing it. Tons of info there.

3. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    Thanks for the quick reply. Now for a very ignorant question: What is Silver?

jm2 likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    For subscribed FChat customers

5. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    Thanks! I didn't even realize there was a separate subscriber forum. Done.

anunakki likes this.
  6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    My first comment would be to consider moving the cars closer together toward the center so as to have a bit more room on the sides for work surfaces and cabinets with drawers. Storage shelf space along the walls is also good. Overhead racks for stuff? Lighting? Overall and workspace. What is the purpose for the 18' door? Small aircraft?:cool: Xtra height more important than xtra width? (road legal is still only 104") Air & water? Drainage? 200 amps? more?
    (just getting started....):D

7. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Any space just for parking only can be tightened up. Surely you can be careful with your own car doors. Where you need lots of space is around your lift even if you 're not a DIYer and only use the lift for easier cleaning. Put a partition between the parking side and the work side and your toys will stay clean while you create dust on the work side. Washroom, tool chests, fridge and work benches all go on the lift side because you'll spend most of your time there. Spend some money on really good quality stools for beer drinking. I made four work benches that are all on sturdy castors which lets you pull them away from the wall for easy clean up and bringing the bench closer to your project if need be. This is more or less how I did mine five years ago, regrets? Yup I only put in a two post lift and I do wish that I'd put in a two post AND a four post lift. You'll see why eventually. Cheers!

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. JCaspar

JCaspar Rookie

Nov 24, 2019
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Jeff Caspar
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. I appreciate it. I am now thinking of going to 10' doors (my F-150 is 8' at mirrors) and moving them in a bit to provide more space at the walls. This will help with shear too. Am planning on a 2 post lift in probably the back right bay but ceiling will only be 12' (actually probably 11.5') so will need to figure out some way to vault the ceiling around it to get a higher lift model. My neighbor recommended the 18' door, said it is nice with larger vehicles (he has several vintage Cadillacs) to be able to pull in without concern for the sides. Thinking about a drain in the center for washing cars inside (would be great in the summer!) Hopefully will get some preliminary drawings next week. One challenge is I am limited to a mx height of 16' but want 12' ceilings. Will need a 2/12 pitch roof which will be a challenge to make stylish.( a requirement of my wife, otherwise I would have gone with a metal building!)

9. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    2,576 sq ft = heaven!:)