Diagnosing 550 Air Con Leak | FerrariChat

Diagnosing 550 Air Con Leak

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by JC1720, Aug 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Hi All,

My 2000 550 has dumped all its aircon gas. When pressure testing there's an audible hiss from around the compressor area when listening from above, so I'm guessing the leak's in either the tubing near / the connectors with or the compressor itself. Unfortunately I can't see enough from above to pinpoint the leak.

My planned next step is to remove the undertray and see if that lets me identify the precise area of the leak without having to remove the air boxes etc.

Any tips on likely leak areas and how to spot them welcomed, also can anyone recommend a compressor rebuilder here in the UK if it comes to needing that?

Thanks in advance and keep safe.
    John

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There are dyes you can introduce into the system and show a green trace at the leak point.
    google A/C automotive dye tracer

3. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Thanks for the tip - forgot to mention I had the dye in, but cannot get a visual on the area...

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Then you will have to start taking the car apart to see it.

5. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Mine had an issue with compressor leaking, there is a company in Resada, CA called international compressors that rebuilds them same day $400-$425

niftyfivefifty likes this.