diagnostic tester | Page 2 | FerrariChat

diagnostic tester

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by timeckart, Jun 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  2. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    When my MAF went bad the car threw a CEL with a MAF out of range code.
    Maybe cleaning the MAF sensor could help, but at ~$1000 replacement, it might be an unnecessary expense.
    Did the problem occur suddenly, or develop over time?
    What else have you checked?

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you have any noticeable symptoms before the check engine light came on? Have you swapped over the MAFs?

I'm sure a MAF can be found much cheaper, but swapping and cleaning are good first options.

This MAF from Poland is U$263 plus taxes/postage.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=auto&tl=de&u=https://www.kolmot.com.pl/pl/p/Przeplywomierz-masowy-powietrza-Czujnik-masy-powietrza-FERRARI-456-GT-GTA,-Maranello-SAAB-9000-3.0-V6-Oryginal-BOSCH-0280217521/3384

4. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    The problem came during the driving like a loose connection ...
    The engine check light do not came, only sometimes slow down.
    The temperature monitoring modules are both only about 2 years old.
    For testing I once connected a used temperature sensor, without the built in the exhaust . No change.
    I also bought a new frot lambda sensor, but til now not testing...my friend allways say: make this new.....but to change it is much working wit lift and so on...
    Thank you for the link. I bought from Ebay used Maf for 50 dollars. I wait for this. My 512tr has not the same Maf but the same ignition.
    I like to repair my Ferraris and RR by myself. It is allways a fight, when you have such problems, but when I win I am so happy and I get a better connection with my cars. I am not only a owner....and it makes so much fun to see how wonderful the Ferraris and the RR were built, but here in Germany no Maranello/512 owner repairs his Ferrari self.
    They are afraid of technology and do not want to get their hands dirty. You miss so much of the real passion ...
    Thank you very much. I write again when I get the used maf, but in 1 week I go 10 days to hollidays.
    Before some days I was in Maranello without my Maranello, because not working..... https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/visit-modena-maranello-st-agata-bolognese-and-campogalliano.602405/
    Ciao Tim

Qavion likes this.
  5. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    ...but here in Germany no Maranello/512 owner repairs his Ferrari self...

Here in Holland at least some do!

6. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  7. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  8. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  9. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I have the foxwell 520 pro as well. It keeps saying no connection while trying to talk to the 360 modules. I’m trying to clear an airbag light from when I turned the car on with the passenger air bag disconnected.

how did you get your 520 pro to work on your 360?

10. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I also have a foxwell 520 pro which will work on my 550 in generic mode but will not connect in the Ferrari mode. I, therefore, am also very curious how you got it to connect to a Ferrari.

11. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So I tried again today, this time I powered the foxwell 520 with a usb power bank. And, viola! I was able to communicate to the motronic ECUs and read codes. However, I was not able to connect to the airbag ECU, which is the one that I have a warning light with. Upon further research, it sounds like I may need to connect to that ECU via the 3 pin cable next to the battery (behind right hand footwell). I ordered the "fiat 3 pin OBD2" cable from amazon and will try that this weekend.

12. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Did you have any luck with this? I’ve ordered a fiat 3 pin to OBD cable and I wonder what you did to get it to work for you?

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    What car do you have? 456 or 456M? Motronic 2.7 or 5.2 ECU? Where are you located?

Please put as much detail as you can into your profile for us to be able to help you. The 3 pin adaptor plug won't work if you have a 2.7 car. That has a different diagnostic system.

Re 2.7 and 5.2 cars... Does your car have a set of red and black Ferrari immobiliser key fobs?

14. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thanks for replying. I have a 1995 6 speed euro car. It does have several 3 pin connectors around the car and I’ve always wondered if I could use them.

I’m sure that I have the 2,7 motronic ecu.

15. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thank you for prompting me to do this. I have now added to my profile.

Qavion likes this.
  16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's bad news, I'm afraid. On cars prior to Motronic 5.2, the only way to access the fault codes and other engine data was via the self test function and/or with a Ferrari SD1 tool. I don't think your Fiat adaptor is going to work. The other system ECUs with 3 pin diagnostic plugs also require an SD1 tool.

Regarding the self test system. On USA cars, there are test pushbuttons (and bulbs in the CHECK ENGINE lights). The pushbuttons and bulbs were generally only fitted to USA cars. The current workaround for Euro cars is to install test buttons and install bulbs in the CHECK ENGINE lights. Well, that's how some folks have done it on the 348 and 355 with 2.7 Motronic ECUs. Maybe you could ask someone on the 456/550/575 forum if they have tried this on the 456?

17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  18. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Thanks for the replies. I will try to make a test button using the fiat connector. I will be interested to see if Ferrari installed the Check Engine bulb as standard in non US 456s.

Given that there are only 3 wires to choose from, who knows which wires are connected by the push button during the 5 second test initiation?

When I know which wires to connect for 5 seconds I can report back on whether any lights get illuminated on the dash.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #45 Qavion, Jun 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    Not sure about the 456, but on the 348 (2.7), the switch itself only has two wires ... and these correspond to the HR (grey/red) and N (black) wires on the 3 pin ECU harness.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

N is connected to chassis earth and HR goes to ECU pin 13.

On the F355 (2.7), the colours (HR and N) and ECU pin are the same.

Basically, you are shorting pin 13 to earth. Of course, the 456 has 6 cylinders per ECU, so the pin numbers on the ECU could be completely different.

Note: The unused wire colour is grey/brown, so it may be difficult to distinguish between the wire colours.

20. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    Please excuse the dust, I'm just back from a 2,500 mile trip around Spain!

Here is a photo of the connector from the Motronic unit. There are 3 wires which look like red/white, grey/white and black/white.

21. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That complicates things :D

Can you determine which pins on the 3 pin plug correspond with which pins on the ECU with an ohmmeter?

The earth wire should go to chassis earth or ECU pin 19
    The test/switch wire should go to ECU pin 13
    The unused wire should go to ECU pin 55

If no correlation, I don't know if the test switch will work.

22. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
    If we didn't like complicated we would own Toyotas!

I will test and revert

23. belfry

belfry Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Batt
  24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell

The connector should be marked with small numbers, but if you can’t find them, use the graphic I posted yesterday….. i.e. this one

The graphic shows the plug as seen from the contact side of the plug with the harness on the right. Socket #1 is top/right. The numbers run right to left and top to bottom. Because your car is a V12, there should probably be a lot less empty pin positions, but hopefully the test pins should be the same.

That single connector with the blue/black wire looks familiar. I’ll see if I can find a reference to it.