Did Pete Brock copy the Daytona coupe off the Aston Project cars? | FerrariChat

Did Pete Brock copy the Daytona coupe off the Aston Project cars?

Discussion in 'British' started by bitzman, Sep 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I've hard Pete Brock say he originated the lines of the Daytona coupe out of his imagination and his research into prewar aerodynamic design stories but every time I look at the 1963 Aston Project 212, 214 and 215cars I wonder. One or the other had:

-front engine
    -fastback roof
    -faired in headlamps
    -chopped off Kamm tail.

I think how come it's never mentioned, and they came a year before the first Daytona coupe.

articles below and photos from website: http://www.simoncars.co.uk/aston/dp212.html

Aston Martin DP 212, 214, 215
    David Brown took Aston Martin out of racing after winning the Le Mans 24hour race in 1959 and the World Championship. However, dealers pressured the company to return to racing and in 1962 the Aston Martin DP212 was created for the 24hour Le Mans race. Based on the DB4 GT chassis (to comply with GT regulations), with the Tadek Marek dohc 3670cc engine bored out to 3996cc with triple Webers and twin sparks to give 327bhp. Richie Ginther and Graham Hill drove the car in the 24hours race but retired. In spite of this set back, David Brown was encouraged to continue development and produced two new GT cars, the DP214 for the 1963 season. The DP214 made full use of the Kamm tail aerodynamics (by Ted Cutting) that would eventually be copied to the DB6. Ted Cutting also produced the DP215 in 1963 which was intended to compete in the GT Prototype category. Both DP214s and the DP215 retired in the 1963 Le Mans race. Over the years some of the DP214 cars have been damaged, one indeed was destroyed, and the current cars are largely restorations or even recreations, but are sufficiently competent to be accepted in historic racing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login