Did you drive your Ferrari home? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Did you drive your Ferrari home?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NathanBennett, Aug 13, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    Picked up my 430 on a rainy night in December, about 35 degrees out. About a mile from where I picked it up I get onto the parkway, with very cold tires. The parkway entrance ramp is very short and the traffic is moving but heavy. I see an opening and floor the car. The car fishtaled and missed a car in the left lane by a foot. I did not test drive the car, it belonged to a friend. I had no idea what power and cold wet tires would do.
    So know the car and how it will handle in the conditions you will be travelling in.

2. Greg34

Greg34 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 31, 2010
    Sunset Beach
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have driven all of mine home.
    The fact that I live less the 15 miles from the dealer may exclude me from your evaluation process.
    I have a question for several posters in this thread, what is this "rain" you speak of?

3. jpl

jpl Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2003
    Yulee Florida
    Full Name:
    JP Lavigne
    I bought my 78 308 in Ft Lauderdale, drove her home to Ottawa, Ontario Canada...(including importation) about 15 years ago. Then drove her to Houston about 6 years ago when we moved....and then just 3 years ago, again drove her to Northern Virginia where she now resides. Drove through a heck of a snowstorm in the Blue Ridge Mountains in November when moving from Houston to Northern Virginia. Never missed a beat.
    She started her life with me with about 30K miles....just turned over 80K on my last trip up to Ottawa.

JP

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I've never purchased a Ferrari which was more than 30 minutes drive from my house.

5. mibi

mibi Karting

Apr 20, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Michael
    last year, flew to tampa, picked up a 14K mile 456 and drove her home. Super hot and humid. AC did fine most of the way, car didn't overheat, but once in atlanta traffic, my AC clutch stopped engaging - blew a fuse - so had no AC last hour home. nonetheless, it was a great drive home, and continues to be a blast on an almost daily basis. Doing annual fluids next week! m

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    2 yes and 2 no. The yesses outweigh the nos by a large margin. In terms of satisfaction.

If it's cross continent I elect preservation of my body. If it's within reason, I drive it. It's a special time to begin the experience. I've had a couple of very good ones.

My advice. If possible without physical harm, drive 'em home. :)

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    OOps. Forgot the fifth. I wanted to drive it home, just couldn't be done with the schedule. It would have been Chicago to DC in the winter and I was really up for it. Even though there were visions of being on the side of a desreted road in winter.

What's life about? Not fear, that's for sure.

8. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    Stan, what about your Daytona coupe? I remember it having quite a bit of front end driving wear (at the Garage Party). What a beauty it is! Do you still have it?

9. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I found my car on DuPont Registry. Called the car's owner and then spoke with his mechanic. We worked out our deal and I few to Cleveland. We visited the same mechanic, and inspected the car then I drove it home, about 8 hours. My 1984 308 got 21 mpg at 85mph.

10. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Nice pic!! So grubby!! :D:D

11. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    #61 JazzyO, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Picking it up at the dealer and driving it home is the best drive you ever do.

Collecting my first Ferrari (2nd hand 550M) and driving it home about 80 miles through the Dutch countryside on a glorious day was just fantastic, a treasured memory. Here's a pic of that afternoon in 2007. My second Ferrari I drove home from the UK to Holland.

Onno
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. 78-308gt4

78-308gt4 Formula Junior

May 22, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Bought mine through Algar in Philly, drove it back to Memphis 1,100+ miles. Great drive over the Smoky Mts.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Sounds like a fantastic trip!

Onno

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #64 Spasso, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    I think the drive home in my 308 was all of 70 miles but I also had to take two ferry boats and a run up a flooded freeway in a rainstorm.
    I didn't know how to work the heat and defrost at the time which made it interesting.
    I also found out about the leak at the top of the left hand 'A' pillar, perfect shot to my left knee.

The drive home in the TR was on a sunny afternoon, 40 miles on a State highway during rush hour. I hit every red light for 40 miles. I don't think I could do that again if I wanted to.

15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I did. Best way to get to know her. Drove from NC to MD. Took my cell phone just in case and a GPS to find my way back.