Dino brake failure warning light switch | FerrariChat

Dino brake failure warning light switch

Discussion in '206/246' started by Daryl, Nov 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I looked all over the archives and couldn't find anything on this so here goes:

My brake failure light had been coming on, and I noted that the front calipers would sometimes lock up a bit on full lock parking maneuvers. I reasoned the front flex hoses needed replacing. After replacing all four flex hoses, doing a fluid change and bleeding the system, the lock up issue was solved and the light went off. I thought all was well until, after a few drives, the warning light started coming on again. First intermittently, now all the time. I suspect that the piston seal on one side of the shuttle in the pressure switch may be compromised, causing just enough pressure differential to gradually push the shuttle over and activate the switch. Has anyone pulled one of these units apart and done a rebuild? Looks like a fiddly job. The brakes are fine and I could just disconnect the switch wire for now, but I'd rather fix it correctly over the winter.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The pressure switch on the pressure differential warning block tend to fail. you can unscrew the switch without introducing air into the brake system and test it.
    The switches fail, causing the light to come on. You can get a new switch from Porsche. early 911's use the same part. You can take the block apart and clean up all of the seals and piston, but I have never seen replacement seals for the block.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    I took the dif pressure switch apart on my 308. Cleaned out the pistons and the switch itself from old dirt and rust and lubricated everything. It has been working well ever since (Or better worded; it has not indicated any brake failures since then).

Best Peter

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  5. jerion

jerion Karting

Jan 26, 2007
    Plymouth, MI
    Full Name:
    Jeff Erion
    Daryl,
    See pics attached for guts of unit. I tried to find new seals as well with no luck. The original ones are not too bad so I will reuse them and hope they work.
    Pretty simple concept. Image Unavailable, Please Login