Dino restomod | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino restomod

Discussion in '206/246' started by npwmd2, Jan 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    BTW "rosso dino" I was not implying the structural architecture, just the utilities of the homes would be upgraded, as in David Lee's dino.

2. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
  3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Possibly a "restomod of the Vatican" might be appropriate?

Regards, Alberto

pshoejberg and TonyL like this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I helped make this replica dino for fun a few years ago, it had a V8 2.9l 308 carb uprated engine, uprated brakes, Protec full adjustable suspension and went like a rat up a drain pipe. The body was carbon fibre and weighed next to nothing.

Not the finished product in the photo unfortunately but my dino is in the garage in original condition and we had a car to thrash around to our hearts content.

Seems a much more sensible solution and no willy waggling either!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    WOW!!

This is really impressive

Terry groves, swift53 and TonyL like this.
  6. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    As I was just asking for feedback; if one equates a dino to a historic home, of which most people live in both for periods of time, historic homes will undergo multiple updating of the utilities as the technology updates! That home would not be devalued by the addition of electricity, plumbing, and so forth without altering the architecture inside and out. I am afraid if the culture concerning, updating Classic Ferraris, is not accepting of tasteful modifications of its utilities, then those cars will no longer be around, like the horse and buggy. I don't know when the last time I saw one of those?
    Someone explain to me why is it, dino or for that matter Ferrari owners, have a hard time accepting updating one's Ferrari or dino in this case?

7. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Thanks, wait until you see the TR250 pontoon under construction, unfortunately we cannot get a V12 but it will be V8 powered :)

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    We just do not, as simple as that. :)
    And as far as historic homes, please let's not go there. Cars are one thing, 'historical homes' another.

And yes, you can 'turboprop a DC3 Goose'. But why would you? 'Velosolex', were a great idea...
    Leave all this nonsense, and great stuff by the way (not yours), to the Oakland Roadster Show, or whatever it is called.
    As far as a 'horse and and buggy' I added 1 extra Horse to mine, so now I have 2HP. Only issue the 2 don't like each other :)
    So what you done to your 'Fiero'?

Regards, Alberto

pshoejberg likes this.
  9. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    I respectfully disagree!
    You are making a joke of this, so obviously you have a weak position.
    Historic homes are a spot on comparison. As I said most of us spend a lot of time in our homes and cars!
    The culture must change or dino's will go the way of the horse and buggy!!!
    Now don't let me hear you have altered your home in any way.

10. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Why not 4v and fuel injection on the v6 easily 310-320hp

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Yes, indeed I am weak, but not where it counts, and you don't have a sense of humour :)
    I added 2 more horses to my buggy, and now feel like Ben-Hur ;)

Regards, Alberto

12. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    peterp, Ribolla_67, jag312 and 4 others like this.
  13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto

Attached Files:

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Simon, F.I. not an issue, but the 4V heads, that, is another can of worms.
    I am willing to bet, almost ZERO, OK, 3 or 4 takers on an Restomod kit for an original Dino engine.
    in the 70's definitely, yet how many have this kit on, save the F.I., as after all Lancia had the heads available...
    What would be the point?

Regards, Alberto

15. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  16. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Try telling that to the owner of a blue chip Ferrari worth millions. Why must it change? We love being anoraks and putting the cars back to original, somehow a pin strip down the side just doesnt cut it.

In other words you are flogging a dead horse on this part of the forum to convince any of us to change course.

Kind Regards
    Tony

swift53 likes this.
  17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  18. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
  19. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    As it is My dino is one owner and I bought originally from Joe Demaria at Orange Motors in November of 1972. I doubt most people on this blog are original owners or even 2nd or 3rd. So, lighten up, updating dino's will happen along with everything else or the cars will not be driven! Has anyone seen a Model T on the road lately? I have fully updated with modern utilities!! Now it is an everyday driver! HAHA

20. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    My response to all of this is it’s really up to the owner whether they want to keep their Dino 100% stock original, make a few tasteful technical/safety updates or go all the way such as the Mototechnique Dino (just keep all the original parts). I respect all especially if it’s done well. I just came back from Europe. I visited my friend Alois Ruf. Alois restores Porsches 100% original like his 901’s or will build you a Sports Purpose hot rod with a 3.4L twin-plug high butterfly motor (340hp) with appropriate brakes and gearbox among many many other things. Both ends of the spectrum are wonderful! I love that the Dino world has a resource like Mototechnique. I also love seeing the growth of places like Alfaholics. This expands our hobby and brings it to a younger audience.

Telaio, Jack-the-lad, -K1- and 2 others like this.
  21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    How is that possible, no earthquake retrofits?

Dino chassis design is older than many homes, yet they could benefit from
    structural architecture improvements, say a couple a hundred lbs. of gussets, beams, triangulation,
    and possibly some body affixing betterment, as, if you know how Dino is held onto the chassis,
    you and any State Inspector, would cringe.

You'd be a fool if you live in California and not have performed such tidbits.

Sure would be to Dino benefit and bring it almost
    to county inspection requirements. Seriously.

Regards, Alberto

22. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    No, never seen a Model T on the road, unless it is a rural one, not allowed on the Highway, due to the speed limitations
    or impossibilities of overachieving any speed above 'Edwardian' put puts
    Indeed, 0-60 times must be scorching on your restomod 'T', considering the original top speed was 45mph.

Does the LS-1 fit comfortably? Alas, the wheel spokes must have been replaced by Ipe'
    or some other type of ' ironwood '.
    Upgraded with modern utilities, you mean running water and solar heating? Everyday driver? Oh la la...

By the way, your Dino, is a 2 owner car, get it? You are the 2nd. Actually, Joe (flipped it in a nanosecond, never went around the block),
    was the 2nd, and you are # 3.

As a tidbit, my Dino has had more users than a Tijuana night club entertainer, maybe I am the 40th owner, and it is now bulletproof.
    It is better than a brand new, showroom floor example, as no rust, or bad workmanship.
    Does your Dino have rust in the seams? Of course not. New brake hoses and lines?

Regards, Alberto

PS. Careful with the 'hotrod T, as the local constabulary might have you in their sights.

24. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Swift53, your pictured Alfa says it all. You are in the wrong CHAT! I doubt you know anything about dino's, obviously don't even own one! I will leave it at that, before I get rude!

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like restomods in general but wonder how a vintage chassis that is probably not very stiff to begin with handles the extra power, braking, and cornering forces of the mods. personally, i would leave a rare dino as a restored car and go for the mods on a more common 3x8 instead