DIY exhaust | FerrariChat

DIY exhaust

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Antwan, Feb 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Hi all,
    I have taken the plunge and made plans to fabricate an exhaust system for my 82 QV. The original exhaust just isn't loud enough. I will be saving the original for the next owner. The shape of the Mondial exhaust (excluding link pipes) is really simple. I think I can get away with just 8 welds as I have asked a fab shop to supply the elbows at the correct dimensions.

Aftermarket systems from the known manufacturers are simply too expensive for me to consider.

I have bought a stainless Magnaflow muffler and 4 elbows plus flanges. My question relates to the tips - the original system has resonator style tips. Has anyone heard similar systems with and without resonator tips to understand their impact on volume/sound. I cant find any vids on the internet for similar cars, just big old pick up trucks.

One other thing, does anyone know the joint type between the muffler pipe flange and link pipe flange, is it ball and socket type?

Cheers, Ant

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I have a hand built exhaust for my 308 with resonator tips and the sound is loud but I have no muffler.

3. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    Gosh I bet that is loud. I have gone for a small box just 14". Dual inlets and dual outlets with crossover pipe built in. Im hoping it is going to retain the bark you expect from a Ferrari but only time will tell I guess.

Any link to a vid of yours?

4. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    +1

best
    Jurgen

5. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Sorry guys I don't have any, and the engine is out of the car at the moment.

6. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    A couple of good threads. I'm definitely not the first to do this.

The black 308 has exactly the same setup as my design which is great to see. It looks very tidy. He has even gone for oval tips which I would like so they were good to see too.

7. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Antwan
    where will you get your triangular flanges from to make the pipes
    peter

8. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    There are places I found, some on fleabay, some on general performance exhaust websites. Not too sure about the end connection though so I'm dropping the old exhaust this avi.

Will let you know

Are you considering it?

9. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    #10 Antwan, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like I might have been telling porkies. The flanges I have seen are mild steel but I have since found some stainless which should do the trick.

I get my piping tomorrow so i'll have a final measure up before ordering.

Flanges are flat face and welded to the pipe ends i.e. not loose with flared ends so a standard flat gasket should be fine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #11 ozmondy, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    Oh yeah I am more than considering it
    I reckon they sound like a Datsun 120Y and its a Ferrari man...it needs attitude
    Mine sounds like a pussie and is starting to rattle as it must have a loose baffle.
    What is the number on that Magnaflow and please let me know where you get the flanges as I haven't been able to find them anywhere.

I watch your thread with baited breath Antwan seriously mate
    For what they are charging for aftermarket they should be wearing one of those Beagle Boy masks the thiefs.

11. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    I'll be ordering more later on. Will let you know!

12. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    You want to use Hedman tips with these. They are undoubtedly the closest thing to Ansa tips.

13. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Antwan
    that Magnaflow is a crossover right..??

14. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    The interior is like a X pipe. Look at their website, they show it.

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I've heard cars set up with these, they sound really fantastic so fear not.

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #17 Meister, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had this straight back (true) dual set-up on my ex 308. I have seen the tube style mufflers mounted transversley in a pair too. The car was pretty loud. I would imagine the 2in/2out in one muffler I see pictured would be a little quieter because I assume it has an internal crossover.

The car never required an adjustment or had any problems once installed. Good luck.

17. MondialNeil

MondialNeil Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2007
    Bucks,UK
    Full Name:
    Neil S Perry
    Can I ask what car lift that is as I could do with one of them.

Cheers

18. bbekker

bbekker Karting

Jan 16, 2010
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That caught my eye as well, and found them on ebay, searching for scissor lift

19. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    WRT the scissor lift, they sell them on ebay but ensure you get exactly the right setup, some are 3ph, some require comp air. Also the 4 arms are adjustable lengthways and the pads slide, I don't believe all arms are adjustable. This one from Automotech services is 1ph and uses a solenoid for the safety release. It pulls about 8amp according to the motor plate. It is the best I can achieve in my small garage.

Back on topic!!...
    Great to hear that others think it will sound good, thanks for the reassurance, I was very unsure.
    So far I have spent £295 total - bespoke length elbows x4, silencer, 2 flanges/gasket, Argon gas and stainless twin tips x2. Not bad, this should be total too if all goes to plan!!

The silencer is a Tru-X type which has a perforated crossover inside.

Oz - a couple of things to consider if you are ordering bits before I finish - the silencer spigots are sized at 2.25". I ordered pipe with flared ends to fit 2.25" and they don't, they match perfectly, dooh. Thankfully I can cut back the spigots on the silencer which are slightly flared to achieve an insertion (you can just make this out on my previous pic). I wanted a spigot/socket joint to weld rather than butt weld so there is little penetration into the piping.

As soon as the weather allows I will be out there!

20. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Antwan
    I am trying to find the larger Magnaflow box at 22' the 12568 it has the 2.5" in and out. Same config as yours with the x over built in.
    I will get a couple of flanges cut I think.
    First thing for me to do is locate a muffler and then purchase 4x 180 degree mandrel bends and then play
    Keep going man I watch with interest
    Peter

21. Antwan

Antwan Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Manchester UK
    You might be tight on you dims if going for the larger box. The tailpipe centres are circa 770mm. Long radius elbows are 1.5*diameter in radius.

22. ozmondy

ozmondy Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2013
    N.T, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I might sit tight and watch your thread for an outcome hey..!!

23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I'm surprised you don't see more folks doing this bc of cost of aftermarket exhaust systems alone-at least for mondials and 3x8s

24. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Peter,
    You mention rattles in exhaust. My car has had a couple rattles. I found both my bottom screen (US model) and the rear alloy grill rattled. I did this by using a dead blow hammer on a frame member while car was not running. The rattle exposed itself and I just worked closer and closer until I was able to put my finger on the culprit. I then added one washer to a fastener and rattle gone. Might be a temp fix to get rid of a rattle if it happens to not be exhaust related.

Great thread.