DIY F430 Fuel Injector replacement | FerrariChat

DIY F430 Fuel Injector replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Astrong16103, Aug 17, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Astrong16103

Astrong16103 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    Corsa:

Looking for some guidance on a small DIY project and general harness age issues. Am replacing the fuel injector in cylinder 4 (the easiest injector to get to). Do I need to remove the passenger frame stanchion or can I access the injector quick connect plug from under the car with belly panel off? Since the injector cable is wrapped with others as it travels toward the front of the engine, want to understand the process before I start pulling that apart.

Hoping this fixes my misfires but also am getting a Christmas tree of warning lights that magically disappeared while the dealership. Are others with 430/360 having to replace the engine harness? Dealership said May be brittle and causing electrical problems, firing off sensors in error. So they would replace the harness “first” for about $5,000. 2006 F430, 32,000 miles.

Thanks for any feedback

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Most "Christmas tree" lights are caused by weak battery

Most misfire are either a intake manifold gasket issue bad plug or coil

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

tbakowsky likes this.
  3. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Are you replacing the injector or the harness. I agree with flash32, I have never replaced an injector, but coils and manifold gaskets are usually the issue. Not to say you do not have other issues. I constantly have to remind myself when diagnosing these cars that they have never been this old before and the issues that arise will constantly change as the parts age.
    Replacing the harness is going to be a bit of an undertaking. I would need to research it a bit to see what all I thought needed to be removed to have decent access.

4. Astrong16103

Astrong16103 Rookie

Mar 13, 2013
    Detroit, MI
    All my OBD codes point to a misfire, so was optimistically thinking, just do that. But the plug is way up at the front of the engine after being wrapped with other injector cords on the way. Can’t actually even see the connection.

While they maybe were more quiet initially, the Christmas tree lights were not solved by a new battery even though I always plug it in to the Ferrari trickle charger if it is in the garage even overnight. With 32k miles including a few thousand on the racetrack, I suspect my harness may be brittle and starting to go. Also apparently the grounds sometimes need to be refreshed. My dealer wants to “start with that” for $5,100 and see if that gets rid of the lights. Maybe that is the developing challenge with these cars as they age (?)

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Have you checked the manifold gaskets as i suggested above ..i had someone else i was helping spend tons of money because his mechanic wouldn't listen to him (me) at first about testing for intake manifold gaskets.. after months he did and what do you know that is what was

Carefully spraying brake cleaner or thottle body cleaning near the manifold gasket near which ever misfire cylinder number you are getting is a quick way of seeing if the gasket is leaking ..or ask them to do a smoke test as well (personally not as easy and harder if tiny keak) ..

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Red 27 and tbakowsky like this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Never have I ever replaced an injector on a 430..or 360 for that matter.

Do as flash says..intake gaskets check..or you have a bad coil. Both easy to diagnose and solve without throwing parts at it. Bank to bank parts swaping costs nothing but time.

Red 27 and flash32 like this.