DIY Gas Cap a.k.a. Plug, Seal replacement | FerrariChat

DIY Gas Cap a.k.a. Plug, Seal replacement

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Konadog06, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Gas cap (plug) seal replacement. Ferrari p/n 223707.
    As your seal ages it shrinks and the assembly eventually falls out or separates from the cap.
    I make do with the tools available and often use sockets to press items in and out for light duty jobs.
    This 575 Cap was already in two pieces.

You will need to remove the gas cap plastic retaining cable from the arm of the door. The plastic cable has a retaining plug that has two tabs 180 degrees apart. Carefully pinch these together (needle nose pliers work) while carefully prying the retaining plug out of the hole.
    Be aware of your work space. If you slip with a tool you scratch your paint.
    As shown in the pic I turned a 1 1/4” socket upside down, set the old seal portion on it with the nylon protruding side to be pressed out facing down. Placed a 9/16” socket upside down on it and placed the whole thing in my vice. Slowly tightened the vice and the nylon center pops free. It could likely be tapped out without the use of a vice as well.
    With the nylon center popped free I positioned it to be popped into the new seal on the bench. I first placed a very light coat of silicone grease on the O-ring that you will see on the nylon center section. This is to allow it to pop back together smoothly.
    A 3/4” socket was used to pop the nylon center section back in. A light tap with a mallet gets it done.
    You then need to insert the new seal back into the cap.
    Turn your cap upside down on a soft cloth. First put a very light amount of silicone grease only on the outside edge of the new seal. Place the seal (flat side down) on the cap. In this case I placed a larger 1 5/16” socket over the seal assy and simply pushed it down into the cap. Once in you may have to finesse the new seals outer edges around the inside of the cap. Wipe the caps threads well to remove any grease that may have made its way in there.
    Test fit the cap. Reinstall the cable retaining plug by simply pushing it back in (from the outside of the arm to the inside).

With the new seal installed I noticed that when the Cap is tightened “Ferrari” reads in the correct location. Maybe coincidence but I enjoyed that as it was not that way before.
    Bill
    FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB likes this.
  2. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
  3. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Cool Bill, nice writeup!

But GM silicone grease? Wow, that's certainly an upgrade from what Ferrari would've used :)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- I tried, but not with your good technique. I cracked the plastic and had to buy a new one.

5. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Guys. John that tube is ancient :) Don’t think silicone grease was on store shelves when I bought that. GM was my roots.

Our gas caps (or plugs) p/n 185780 are now superseded to a new number p/n 226444.
    I asked Eurospares if the new cap looked the same as the old numbered cap. They could not answer that. That was the main reason I decided to freshen up my existing one.
    Bill
    FL