DIY: Install Fire Extinguisher | FerrariChat

DIY: Install Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #1 whatheheck, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here you go for sharing.

As in my previous posts, Im not here to argue or debate with anyone. Im posting for sharing in case anyone of you wants to do the same - then here's your info to make it easier for you.

Remember always in life - to each his own. Do whatever makes you happy.

Also remember, its your car. Do what you want with it, drive the heck out of it, enjoy it and dont worry about the next guy that will own it.

Situation:
    As you all know, our fuel tanks are located close to the engine bay compartment. Any fuel leak and it will be catastrophic.

My car didnt come with OE fire extinguisher so I want to install one. I also prefer my fire extinguisher to be located in the luggage compartment. I want to save passenger area for pretty women with nice legs :)

I also want to remove the super heavy OE battery charger. I will never use it and the straps have already ripped apart.

OE battery charger = 6 lbs.
    Fire Extinguisher I used = 3 lbs.

Note: I no longer provide links to where I purchased my equipment as I dont want the moderators deleting my thread thinking Im promoting a non-sponsor product.

So here you go. This mod is easy. Takes about half hour to do.

1) Remove the luggage compartment liner. Pay attention to the length of screws you removed.
    2) Drill out the strap rivets.
    3) Mount the fire extinguisher bracket and use screws and nuts to hold the bracket to the panel. Use big washers.
    4) Install Fire Extinguisher.
    5) Done!

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

zipperkarting likes this.
  2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Looks good Dan!

On another note, Here is what my dealer said to me when I asked about my car not having a OEM fire extinguisher and if one can be put in.

"fire extinguisher?!....why do you need one??? if your car is on fire let it burn to the ground! What are you going to do with a burnt Ferrari !!!!??? Let the insurance take care of it. "

LOL... :)

I kinda have to agree...Our car is not a high-end collectable car so?.....
    But in saying that, I probably put one in my car. :)

Thrasher likes this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Skim! Good to hear from you.

I heard a few people say that, but I think its easier said than done.
    I just dont think I can just stand there, intentionally not do anything, and just watch my dream car come true burn to the ground.....

I think any human with a heart & good conscience, their natural instinct is to help and save someone or something given the opportunity.

And most of the mechanics I know that works in a Ferrari dealership dont even own a Ferrari. So its easier for them to make such comment.

Have a fun Sunday!

Did you resolve your test pipes issue already?

Dan

4. cannik

cannik Rookie

Dec 23, 2010
    It's a wise choice and a personal decision and no one shall stop you from doing so. But may I know why to install within the frunk? The access delay would seems losing its purpose during critical moment. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just a personal preference.

Just like some people will choose to apply a clear bra to protect the front and some people would prefer not and just have the front bumper resprayed whenever it gets bad.

As I mentioned earlier - your car, do whatever makes you happy.

Dan

6. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Depends on the type and source of the fire, regarding the delay. Unfortunately the typical Ferrari fire seems to be a fuel leak so time is critical, assuming there's any chance of putting it out after noticing it. I would prefer to have one in the trunk and one safely mounted in the cabin. Also provides a back up if one does not work or if you use one to help another motorist. You know how Murphy's law works on the drive home after you just discharged your extinguisher on another person's car!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. cannik

cannik Rookie

Dec 23, 2010

A backup justification is rather rational. This goes me a revive idea for my extinguisher setup.
    For inside cabin, what's the suggested mount to use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I do not know of a preferred or suggested mount but I remember seeing mounts produced for various Ferrari models that attach to the passenger seat front mounting screws.

9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hey Dan,
    I think the extinguisher looks great and I don't think it would take too much longer to access it compared to being on the passenger side.

Yup, got my test pipes welded up. It's still on the sideline because the Novitec springs are next to be installed. :)

10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    That's why I keep 2. One little one behind the passenger seat, and a bigger one in the frunk. Excessive maybe, but I've actuality been in a car fire, so I take it more seriously than most.

zipperkarting likes this.
  11. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    "I want to save passenger area for pretty women with nice legs"

This is an excellent reason! Thanks Dan for your write-up. Helpful as always.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nice install and good pics; thanks!

That said, I subscribe to the philosophy of "save skin, not tin" - that's why we have insurance. Given a sufficiently large blaze, I won't risk injury to prevent the car from burning to the ground; it's just not worth it.

I've never understood the whole "dream car" or "grail watch" thing - it's all just mass-produced stuff. If you lose one, cash the insurance check and buy another.

13. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    ^ I slightly disagree. And this is because you might have built a bond between your car for various reasons. So there might be irreplaceable sentimental value. For example if you restored the car with your son or your father. And there are one-off cars too that you can't go and buy another.

But I agree that things shouldn't be more important to you than people. It's not wise to burn yourself while trying to salvage your car.

whatheheck likes this.
  14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Agree that a fire is not worth risking injury or life but I see both sides to it. I do have an attachment to my car and have spent much time and effort on it. BUT.....I do know i wouldn't want a burnt-up, then, fixed-up F430.

15. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    An extinguisher will give you a CHANCE to knock a small fire down before it can get stupid big. Maybe an electrical fire in the engine bay or cabin. Jump out go to the trunk/boot to get the extinguisher and turn off the battery switch. To assume that "addressing" any fire is risking your life is a big assumption. And just letting something burn because it is insured, well.......

Now if it's an almost instant big fire due to a bad fuel leak I don't think anyone is going to be silly enough to try to grab one of their little fire extinguishers and play fire department.

I'm 360 Canuck and Element like this.
  16. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I don't see anything wrong with the two attempts this guy made with fire extinguishers. Did it work out? No, not in this case. Now I think it was a little bit foolish to go back the third time to get something out of the car at the point the fire was getting a good size.

People like to get a little chrome or red extinguisher, put a Ferrari horsey sticker on it nicely display it in their car without always realizing that it's only going to give you retardant for some seconds. You need need a decent size one or multiple extinguishers, many times.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Mikael!

Yep, my passenger seat is reserved for pretty women with nice legs.

Dan

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks everyone for chiming in.

To each his own.

In life, do whatever makes you happy.

Dan

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

21. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ..I think it looks cool in the car. I don't know where i can find an OEM one.

24. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    My compliments to the OP and those wishing to carry around a little extra protection :p

As has been rightly said in this thread the reason to have an extinguisher is not to play fireman when your car can be seen from space. It is however priceless when dealing with an incipient fire before it really gets out of hand. In these instances time is everything so you want to make sure you have an extinguisher in easy reach making the cabin the only practical place to have it.

whatheheck likes this.
  25. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I saw someone’s video of your guy’s product at the SEMA show and it looks awesome. Definitely love the size and the extended use time. Are you willing to offer up a group buy or a forum discount for your extinguishers?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app