DIY: Install Fire Extinguisher | Page 2 | FerrariChat

DIY: Install Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Aug 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have the "bracketeer" fire extinguisher cradle, completely reversible, I was more concerned about a small fire or a a fire in the garage. If there' an engine bay fire while driving, byebye 360. Not worth my life...

2. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Thank you for visiting our booth at SEMA. F-Chatters are welcome to a discount (group buys are so Honda Civic:D) Just send us a PM and we'll give you the code. To send a PM in the new format just click on our username and hit 'start a conversation' That's what they call PMs now.

3. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I carry 2 extinguishers for another reason, and that is in the event someones life may be at stake ie a Paul Walker situation. I know its a very remote chance of ever happening, or even that if the passenger was trapped that I would somehow be free and in a state to be able to try to put out a fire, but for the $50 it costs, its worth it to me to have that chance.

whatheheck and Nuvolari like this.
  4. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    whatheheck likes this.
  5. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Very cool and that is an awesome bracket. The remove before flight tag is a great touch.

808Forza likes this.
  6. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thanks. Here's a better pic of the extinguisher out of the car

whatheheck, Flea7 and Element like this.
  7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I guess my post got yanked for mentioning a non-sponsor--not promoting, just mentioning the system mind you....

Anyway, friend of mine had a system in his GT40 with two nozzles in the engine bay. Has anyone installed such a system? I mean, the factory extinguisher is great but takes up floor space, and if it's like mine, hasn't been used since new. Hopefully, the chemical hasn't solidified. Anyway, system I was looking at is a pressurized automatic system, comes with two nozzles with a third optional nozzle on a manual release. Considered two nozzles in the engine compartment and the third in the front behind the panel where the fuses are. Main body is smaller than my factory 360 unit and able to be mounted anywhere and any position.

8. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    The Element looks like a great product, first I've heard of it.
    As I said before, I have 2 devices. A standard extinguisher under the bonnet, and something smaller and lighter by Fireade behind my seat. Costco had a good deal on a 3 pack and it seems like a good product.

9. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    A fire extinguisher could come handy if your car catches fire, say in an underground parking lot. The fire can quickly spread to other vehicles... I don't have one (knock on wood), just saying :)

Maybe other preventive measure like replacing worn out fuel hoses and so on can be another way to ensure that a fire never takes place to begin with?

11. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik
    i have a fire extinguisher oem mounted but im all about Flea7:s idea... if my car cought on fire (depending on how much of course) but generally speaking, i would not want it reparied...

12. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Just to be clear...this quote ->-> "Fire extinguisher?!....why do you need one??? if your car is on fire let it burn to the ground!"

....was what my salesperson said jokingly and really ....I do have to agree. Unless it is a collectable car.
    I wouldn't save it if it was an upscale fire. ie, fire to the motor or tranny......but in saying that ....I plan to get an extinguisher!

whatheheck likes this.