DIY Maintenance 458 thread. | Page 8 | FerrariChat

DIY Maintenance 458 thread.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Melvok, Feb 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
  2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Has anyone replaced the secondary air valves on the exhaust of their 458?
    I am getting code P0491 (low flow secondary air, bank 1). I was able to test the air pump and solenoid valve using my 2 way scan tool so I know that they are working fine. I know it's a fairly common fault with these cars, so I want to replace the valve, and tackle it myself. Has anyone done this job? Are there any tricks? It seems straight forward, and I think I will have clear access once I remove the wheel and the wheelhouses, but I would like to know for sure before I start the job. I ordered the valve, clamp and gasket today. I will tackle it once the parts arrive, and I will update this thread as well.

Melvok likes this.
  4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    OBDII !

What happened today ? Car was rumbling funny, not quite as "always"...

Got a message ...Catalyst temperature not plausible ... -> Go to dealer slowly ...

And becaus I did not believe this I took my $20 OBDII reader ...

Put it in and asked it to scan forr messages ..It did give me: Cylinder 6 - Misfire detected.

I deleted the message and .... all fixed. Car running as always.

But what if you don't have such a little tool when traveling ? You may get into "limb mode" and then ....

So ... get yourself one :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

up4speed likes this.
  5. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    If the same code comes back, I would replace the plug and coil pack on that cylinder. Better yet, if the plugs are more than 6 or 7 years old, I would just replace all the spark plugs right away. You don't want them seizing in the cylinder head.

nicholasn likes this.
  6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Chris, I am replacing all 8 sparkplugs this weekend ...

up4speed likes this.
  7. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had the same CAT message plus A CEL two weeks ago. Scanned by the dealer and it was a fouled plug as they found unburned fuel on the plug causing the unburned fuel to make its way to the Cat. Replaced all plugs from 2012. 9k miles. No more problems

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Right Bob … read here ...

9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Exchanged my 8 sparkplugs this Monday … had bought them last month … at almost 58.000 kms driven with them ...

And of course I did not have the correct 15mm sparkplug tool …. and how do you get a sparkplug out ?

With a magnet I know now ...

And that little yellow connector, took some time to figure out how to loosen the cable ...

Had a look at Carguy on 2 videos … in one, they break a connector, in the second YT he only mentionned that it could go wrong.

So my cil #6 was suspected ...causing the alarm twice.

And yes, it was # 6 that had rust on plugs and connectors … (water ? …… but how ?)

Cleaned all, put grease on all rubber seals and a little coppergrease on the new plug …

Running as she should be, no alarms anymore … Happy, took me 1,5 hrs in all and saved me $ 800 for sure !

D I Y !

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #185 up4speed, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    In order to fix code P0491 on my car, I tackled the secondary air valve on bank 1 today (passenger side of left hand drive car). Overall, it wasn't too bad, pretty easy. The only trouble was the parts that were supposed to be easy. For instance, one of the heat shield screws was hard to get to because I needed an additional joint in my fingers and arm, lol.
    I tried to do the whole job from the wheel well, but I couldn't get that one heat shield screw, so I had to take the right side panel off and access it from the top. I also used the topside creeper to reach it, otherwise I would have probably leaned all over the car, and risked scratching it.

Here are the steps:
    - Remove rear wheel
    - Remove rear half of wheel house (photo #2)
    - Remove front half of wheel house (photo #3)
    - Remove heat shield (rear section only) covering secondary air valve (I'm pointing to it in photo #4)
    - Remove 2 bolts holding the air valve to the metal pipe (photo 5 & 6 show the pipe)
    - Remove small vacuum hose, and large hose by prying the tab of the clamp open

That's pretty much it for removal. Installation is reversed.
    Some hints:
    - Have a properly sized crimp style ear clamp handy (28.6 mm), and of course the crimping tool. The hose clamp I ordered from the parts diagram was apparently updated and a different style clamp that uses a special tool. I preferred to use the same clamp that was OEM on my 2013 MY car. That size was hard to find, so I bought this kit that has that size (it's the biggest in the kit):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086ZH79PB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    - You may have to bend the heat shield slightly to maneuver it out. That's ok, it's soft and can be bent back to look perfect.
    - a lift will be a great help because you can raise the car and look up to access the air valve. If you look at it straight on, the exhaust system covers it, you can see in photos.
    - to remove the crimp style clamp on there, stick a small screw driver into the band end and separate it, it will release. That way is much easier than trying to cut the ear with a wire cutter. (See Photo #7)

Here are the photos:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

DefunctNeurons, r6elmo and Rexcat458 like this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    THANX CHRIS !!

Great write-up for all followers.

up4speed likes this.
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    No, I have not had any light failures. As I mentioned earlier, my mechanic does all maintenance on the ‘13 Spider. It has 25,000 miles on it, I drive it almost daily.

It has had plugs replaced because it was throwing “catalyst temperature” code and going into limp mode. New plugs, all fixed! Next up is the expansion tank and cap (coolant) as he found some fissures during inspection.

At this usage the car is going in twice per year for service, and each time I have him stay on top of all fluid changes and service.

Next up is a little fun, finally - install of Novitec springs and spacers to add a little ‘pizzazz’ to the ride and looks. I do a lot of spirited driving and want to cut down on the body roll.

Earlier I installed a Dave Mase Engineering Tune and it has calmed the jerkiness out of the car at low speeds, around town.

Car has been trouble free, I think driving it often is good for it. If I experience any incidents I will report them. Excellent thread and let’s keep it going.

Here is a pic of the Spider next to a Performante. We had a little ‘spirited drive’ and I was a bit surprised the 458 did pretty well against the V10 640 hp Bull……

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok likes this.
  15. bikerlee

bikerlee Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I started looking at what's needed to do a plug swap and got stuck trying to get the coil pack pulled from the spark plug. Trying the rear ones as the easiest to get to, with both hands pulling I could not get it off. Tried wrapping some thick wire around and pulling and only moved it a couple of mm. Stopped as did not want to break it off, is there a trick or tool that would help get them off?

Melvok likes this.
  16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I did not replace mine myself, my mechanic did it. He called me during the job and said the coils were extremely difficult to remove, and was afraid the coils might break. Luckily, nothing did, but I will find out if he did anything special to get them separated.

He also reported the plugs seemed ‘older’ than he would have been expected. Hmmmmmm………In any event it is running much better now.

Melvok likes this.
  17. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, I have had the passenger side rear lamp failure that I have not fixed yet - as I am not sure how all LEDs would fail. I am not even sure that it stopped working. I read that it may be the sensor that monitors the lamp that may fail???

Melvok likes this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    One way to find ou, costs time but: exchange left to right and see wether te light is broken or the powersupply for it.

Thats wahta I did. In my case it was a bad contact in one of the two connectors … lucky me.

Any help, can you d0 it yourself ?

Remove wheel, unscrew the plastic panel (leave the one that is far away, use a wire to hold panel aside and unscrew lamps)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Let us know !

Good luck Chris :)

20. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Try to spin them before pulling up. You can also pry back the dust cap portion and blow some air down there with a compressor while pulling up.

Melvok likes this.
  21. bikerlee

bikerlee Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Thanks, I'll give that a go. Might try and spray some WD40 around the outside and see if some will seep down and help.

22. bikerlee

bikerlee Rookie

Mar 3, 2018
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    That would be great, thanks. Mine has just started to run a little rough while cold, already cleaned the MAF's and next thing to eliminate are the plugs.

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Watch the 2 videos mentionned by the Ferrari Guy … he uses a small hook tool (dunno how its called in english: Stanley Wonder Bar ?) … as I did

And refitting: use some grease on the rubber surfaces !

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    But no one else had troubles with the led taillights ??