Do most of you have AAA? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do most of you have AAA?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by robiferretti, Jun 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have AAA plus and think it is worth it, I had to use it a few times when I had my ex-308 they were always very careful with the car

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I have AAA for when I go out drinking. If I have a few too many, I just call AAA for a tow. A flatbed comes to the bar and drives me home. It's a good feeling to wake up in the morning with the car in the garage and I'm not in jail! All for a $50 tip. VERY cheap insurance!

3. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore

Thats great, i should remember that one.... HAH!!

I have AAA Plus , never had to use it yet... My question is, what is your more than 100 miles from your ferrari service, or your in another state out in the middle of no where, yes, you can call AAA and they can tow you, but to where???? Do they know Ferrari Service centers in that area??? I would just hope that they wouldn't tow me to Bubba's Auto Repair at some town that isn't even on the map.... I have been doing drives greater than 100 miles to other cities, but know there isn't a Ferrari dealer any where near... Does AAA have repair places that handle Ferraris when your out in the middle of nowhere???? Thats my concern, even thoiugh i am a AAA+ member, but never had to use it, yet.....

4. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    AAA is worth every penny and there are many perks beyond just towing. Travel savings, maps, hotel discounts all add up and the membership is excellent peace of mind.

5. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    Don't have AAA - They booted me many years ago saying I was a poor risk, and I've never looked back.

State Farm has never failed to pay a towing bill submitted, and I get to pick the towing service I want. If you like the maps, go with AAA, but as others have said, the digital nav systems are far more convenient for me.

6. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    "Poor risk"??? Like Peters who gets drunk and uses them as a free taxi/hauler isn't??? You must have some tales to tell...

Ken

7. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I have AA for that:D

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I have AAAplus and I really like it. Normal AAA gives you 7 miles of free towing then you have to pay for the rest, you get three service calls a year. AAAplus gives you 100 miles of free towing, a lock smith, and free gas (2 gal) if you need it. You get three service calls a year, per card. I'm upgrading this year to AAApremier, it gives you one 200mile tow and three 100 miles tows a year, in addition to the other stuff.

Speeking of lock smith, I had to use AAA last year at work. I was in such a hurry to get to work that I locked the keys in my work car. Called AAA and in 30 minutes the truck was there and I had my keys, free of charge. Another time I needed it was a few years ago. I was in an accident on the freeway and called them up. Towed my car all the way to the shop were I live, 68 miles away. My wife has also needed to use it before for a flat.

If you don't have it get it.

9. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Since I own two Italian sports cars, AAA Plus is an obsolute necessity!
    My collector car insurance policy (Grundy) does not cover towing.

I've already used AAA for two tows this year (one for a breakdown and one for towing the car to my mechanics shop from home) and I'm glad I had the card.

I'm thinking about looking into their Premier card, because one of my tows was about 180 miles (Astoria, Oregon to Seattle, WA). Their Plus program only covers 100 miles and my portion due on the excess was $265. That would have paid for many years of membership of the Premier program.

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Now that is an awesome idea. Thanks!

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Premier card? What's that? I don't see anything about it.......

12. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    "Ernie" talked about a AAA Premier membership (see his post one below my previous post).

I tried the AAA web site, but they don't list anything about it.

Ernie- since you brought it up, do you have the specifics about that membership program? Maybe it's not available in my state.

Gary

13. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Hell yeah. W/ a 72 & 2 81s you better beleive it.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In MA it's insane not to, as the $80 membership give you like $125 or 150 off your insurance every year. Smooth work by AAA to negotiate that deal with the state government, who sets the insurance rates in the state (the only state to do this, and thus most of the major insurers don't even bother covering MA).

15. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Given my father's propensity for running over debris on the road, You'd better believe I have AAA, I have it for my whole office. With a car out of warranty, you can't do without it

16. GearHead

GearHead Karting

Jan 3, 2004
    AAA+ saves me a ton of $$!

Allows me to keep and drive all my old cars! Don't have to worry much about breakdowns with with AAA+, as I rarely travel more than 100 miles from home. Great peace of mind for those of us that drive older cars with some "character."

I've used the tow service to go 50+ miles on flatbeds.

I used them to pick up my 308 when I bought it. And then used them again when I returned the 308 to the seller!

17. FerrariDriver308

Jun 7, 2004
    Salem, MA
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    I just upgraded my AAA to the AAA-Plus and seems like a good investment. Reading through this thread though, I am wondering what Ferrari Roadside Assistance is?

Is this only available to new car owners? I've never heard of it.

Any info would be helpful - thanks!

Brandon

18. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I got an invitation in the mail to join the AAA Premier. I don't know why they wouldn't offer it in the state you live in? But when I do upgrade I'll ask. I do know one thing. You have had to have been a member for at least one year on the basic AAA in order to get the AAA Plus. Maybe you needed to be on the Plus for a certain amount of time before you can get the Premier. Just an idea.

19. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Okay kids I got the scoop. If you only have the basic AAA, in order to qualify for the upgrade to Plus or Premier, you can not have had a tow in the last 12 months. If you are already a Plus member you do not have to qualify to get Premier. With Premier you get four tows a year, with one of them being up to 200 miles. Also if you do need to have your car towed, you get one free rental car for one day. Plus you also get a locksmith service, if you get locked out of your house, and free notary service. But, Premier is only offered to members in California. Ah the benefits of living in So Cali. Not only do we get great weather, we also get special treatment. LOL.

20. Micronian

Micronian Rookie

May 1, 2004
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Rafael G.
    I have AAA+, for 5 years now, i have had need to use it at least once a year, just 2 weeks ago i locked my car keys inside my car, i had to wait 1 1/2 hours for service, either way I think it's worth it. I mean $75 per year, is super cheap.

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What do you get with Basic?? Two tows? Or three? What happens when you need a fourth?