Do you think driving a Ferrari (or any nice car) makes you a target for robbery? | FerrariChat

Do you think driving a Ferrari (or any nice car) makes you a target for robbery?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by TheRari, Jan 16, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheRari

TheRari Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    I've been thinking and I've decided that I wouldn't purchase a Ferrari until I am living in a condominium. To me, if I live in a house, that would somewhat make people more likely to break in. I'm not necessarily saying that I'm worried about the car being stolen, but that if I own a nice car, people would assume I have nice and expensive things inside of my house.

This is all hypothetical (well, for me), but do any of you feel the same way?

2. FJS961

FJS961 Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2008
    West Hartford,, CT
    Full Name:
    Frank
  3. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  4. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    Nope x 3.

Life is really short so enjoy it. You'd get homeowners insurance, right? And you'd have to have auto insurance, right? Then who cares what's in the house. Who doesn't have a home alarm these days, as it lowers your homeowners premium a little to boot. Any "smart" thief would really go after the Ferrari anyway. And if you're afraid of the attention, go for a F-car other than Rosso Corsa. My Mondial is black, so most locals don't even know it's got that sweet 3.2 engine back there under those little silver letters that spell F E R R A R I.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No way do I feel that at all. You can mitigate quite a bit, and your chances of that happening aren't really all that great anyway.

If you live in a rough neighborhood, maybe.

6. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your assumption doesn't hold water with me. Unless your priorities are WAY out of whack, you should have a nice home before buying a Ferrari. Wouldn't people assume that you had nice possessions in your home, whether there was a Ferrari in the garage or not?

7. TheRari

TheRari Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    I'm thinking the Ferrari would bring more attention to yourself.

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I thnk most people have no idea how much an F costs

There are always a few nuts out there

9. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    So if you go by this reasoning, you wouldn't drive a Jag,Mercedes,Porsche etc,
    They all also convey a decent income. Stop worrying,buy your Ferrari and enjoy.
    You could also be mugged in your condo's parking lot. The more you thing of these negative things,the more you'll attract them.

10. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    May I ask how old you are? I'm not trying to knock you, but the logic and reasoning in this thread seem to indicate that you are a pretty young person.

11. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #11 ylshih, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  12. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks Yin. I just finished reading that thread and then clicked back over to this one and saw that you posted the link.

13. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Its a good one.

Back on topic, I would venture that a good deal of the bad guys look at a Ferrari and should be thinking to themselves, "That's a car that a gun lives in."

14. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think if it is parked in your driveway, obviously people are gonna think he's/she's gonna have some goods that are worth quite a bit of money. But then again people with Ferrari's generally have long driveways and probably electric gates, so I'd say if you own a Ferrari you're probably more prone to vandalism than robbery, like if it's just parked in a car park unattended.

But I wouldn't NOT buy one because of that, everyone else is in the same situation so just live life the best you can I say. :D ;)

15. MurcieMurcie

MurcieMurcie F1 Rookie

Jan 31, 2004
    each situtation is unique but most people who buy an expensive car will be living in a nicer area before buying the car so there shouldnt be criminals around to begin with.....On another note I did have a friend who lived off 1960/Veterans Memorial in a $120k house with a brand new Infiniti G37s and Escalade. He lived in the house for 3 years with no issues then came into a small amount of money plus got a promotion at work so bought the 2 cars, within 6 weeks he was broken into and was buglarized 5 times in 9 months. The police officer told him it was his cars that attracted the thieves, keep in mind he didnt live in the best part of Houston at the time.

16. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I don't see what difference it makes. Though I did know a young couple who had nice cars and lived in a trailer park (he was a med student, she a teacher) and all the neighbors thought they were drug dealers.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I've decided to agree with anything Zophie says from now on and forever.... :)

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There was an episode of "Flip that house" a couple years back - the flipper was
    a failed rock star wannabe - he drove a very nice black Testarossa as his only
    car (!) He lived in a dingy converted camping trailer - about 20 feet - that had
    the wheels removed and it sat on blocks in a trailer park in a poor neighborhood. He made a
    small living flipping small houses and playing gigs.

So driving an F-car does not necessarily mean you have lots of goodies at home!

Jed

19. Island Time

Island Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 18, 2004
    E. TN
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes it does make you a target for robbery...

Anytime anyone works on it.

20. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    LOL!!! That's a good one.

21. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    I get way more respect from the 'street' in my 348 in the drug-infested part of town than anywhere else. The guys there know exactly what it is.

Life's short, park it behind a garage door, and live life on your terms. not from fear.

22. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Or because they think you got it from selling drugs and they want to be like you!! :D hehe

Joking. :)

23. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I would think that the greatest target for robberies is the home that looks like the bad guys can get away with it the easiest. The home with the Ferrari in the driveway will be tempting if there is no dog in the yard, if there is poor lighting, if the garage door is left open, if there are no nearby neighbors to report suspicious activity, if there is space to back a truck up for quick loading of stolen goods, if there is an out-of-sight escape route out the back, etc.

Having a Ferrari in the driveway might be a pretty good indication that the homeowner can afford a good security system and a good safe to store their valuables.

24. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    i know a guy that met a beautiful broke-a55 girl because of the car, then a few years later, she divorced him, thereby robbing him.

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    In Buenos Aires back in early 2001 you would see the ocassional F rolling about. There were a few 308,348,355,360, and a 365 BB

Once the economy hit the fan they all disappeared from the streets for about 2 years, I suppose bcus kidnapping had increased a lot

Now BA is considerably more peaceful. I saw an F430 spyder on my last trip as well as a GT2.

I'm considering taking a Z06 down there. Then again my 2000 M5 gets lots of attention there

So I suppose it depends on your location. In SoBe there are 4 F's, Lambos, & RR on every block so nobody looks twice at an F430 but you dont want to be driving those in Overton 10 minutes away