Dodge Viper GTS | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dodge Viper GTS

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 355dreamer, May 22, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Had a 96 GTS with a Roe Supercharger. Put over 80,000 miles on it and no problems at all. Best sports car I've ever owned. The guy who bought mine took the supercharger off and put twin turbos on it. He is on the Viper forums (I think in Kentucky) and the car is still running strong. Can't beat them for the price right now. If you get one, get to know Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge. He is very helpful and known across Viper nation as the "Viper Wizard".

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I looked for months and came to the conclusion that the '99 ACR was the best model to get. So that is what I looked for, and ended up with.

If you want ABS, then go with an '01-'02. But for power/comfort '99 is the year to have. If you want b/w, then '96/'97 is your only option. Yellow & Red are the least valuable as they are offered almost every year. Stay away from Hennessey cars, as it is hard to tell what modifications (engine wise) they actually have.

I go in between my ACR & H1 for daily driver and love it. Almost netted near 30mpg on the highway last weekend. Usually sit around 24mpg though.

Nick

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Yellow was not offered until 2001, so not exactly most common. Handy chart of colors vs. years is here:

http://www.theviperregistry.org/features.php

While there are debates galore about power and dyno numbers, rated power for all Viper GTS's was 450 and the dyno numbers I have seen are ~400-420 hp, a difference you will not notice unless you happened to drive one from either end of that spectrum back to back.

4. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I specifically wanted a GTS and 'no stripe'. I had a list of colors I did NOT want, and eventually shortened the desired colors to either Sapphire (very dark blue) or Steel Gray Pearlcoat (like a bluish-graphite color).

Since ALL these cars are scary fast, the 2000 model year didn't bother me in the least and I ended up with a Steel Gray no striper, and the added bonus of Connolly leather (just 52 cars IIRC). I've had zero issues other than the AC leaking once, got that fixed for $200 or so and love the car.

You WANT to go with a high flow cat to keep the side sills from burning, plus a little hp boost. Its my most 'trustable' car and I've taken it on several trips. They're huge bargains, and crowds give 'em the thumbs up. Future collectible for sure.

5. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

Back when they came out, I wanted a GTS in a bad way. I was in my mid 20s and there was no way. I was toying with the idea of buying an FChatter's blue/white 97 but ended up with my Chevelle because it was a little less coin. I love my Chevelle, and I hope to someday have enough saved to get an original GTS. Real iconic car.

RMX

6. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Yellow is third most produced color GTS, behind b/w (~2k cars) and red (~1,900 cars).
    For my power comment, I should have noted for modifying the car.

Nick

7. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I own a 2009 viper. What years are the Gen 4 versus the Gen 3? Also what are the differences?

You may be right on the gen 3 &4 vipers versus the Z06. They are all very fast cars.

Lee

8. Stretch

Stretch Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Margaritaville
    Full Name:
    Jason
    2003 - 2006 = gen 3
    2008 - 2010 = gen 4

Major differences in engines between the two. I believe the suspension & other things are different as well.

From the exterior, the visual differences are the hood, wheels, & colors (several new introduced in '08).

9. klally

klally Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    Potomac Falls, VA
    Full Name:
    Ken Lally
    +1...Z06 is a tad faster, but on the street it's pretty much even-steven between my Z06 friends and my Gen3. My Z friends can't put the top down however :)

Gen4 is truly a monster and in ACR version pretty much is king of the street and road track.

10. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    My brother owned an '04 black roadster for awhile. The black convertible version is pretty boring in my opinion. The coupes are better looking but the GTS is still the best. The interior is nicer in the new cars but you can't beat the GTS body style and early cam. I agree that the '99 ACR would be the best bet behind the '98 GT2. I have heard for about $4k you can retrofit and ABS system into the earlier cars. That is what I would do if I got a non-ABS car.

11. SaturnVUEguy

SaturnVUEguy Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yellow was offered in '94 and '95 on the RT/10, but those are pre-GTS as you already know

12. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    How much do you guys think I should pay a dealer for a gray/tan 2000 Viper GTS with 15000 miles, one owner?

13. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Condition, tires, records, frame recall performed? Is it stock? Which dealer?

14. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Ha, haven't looked into all that yet, carfax doesn't say the recall was performed, only that it was issued. How about a price range? Assuming it's in excellent condition? Yes, all stock. :) Thanks!

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    $45k-ish?

16. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Chas is basically right.

No stripe, steel grey car. The 00-02 cars had cast pistons and a lighter cam "creampuffs". I would offer $42.

17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    as usual :)

18. early93viper

early93viper Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #43 early93viper, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    The 96-02 GTS coupe is such an amazing piece of machinery and much undervalued!

20. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    She is beautiful. I miss my '02 more than any other car Ive ever owned.

21. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Sorry for the crappy video but here is my 2002 GTS supercharged. My brother was driving and he drives slower than a grandmother. I tried to get him to step on it more but this is all I got. Miss her dearly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzOz7iTSpuw[/ame]

22. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I had a 2001 RT/10 in sapphire blue for 1 1/2 years. For a novice car guy like me, I thought it was incredible.

First gear was good for 45 mph or so. Second would touch ~ 80 MPH. Third would be ~ 115 MPH. 140ish in 4th and I know 5th was good for North of 165 MPH.

There are days I wish I still owned it. What a rush.

MDS

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have the twin in 2001 flavor. Finally broke a piston but will fix it

24. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    Well I've decided to go with an SRT/10 instead but here is the GTS if anyone is interested. They're only asking $42k which sounds like a good deal from what you guys were saying. Classy color combo

http://www.lawautosport.com/web/vehicle_photos/2239124

I have no affiliation with the car/dealer

25. early93viper

early93viper Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks!