Does anyone own a... | FerrariChat

Does anyone own a...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 1992F40, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    fast food place in a high traffic mall. I eat at a Chick-Fil-A (Willow Bend Mall-Plano) and I was sitting there just the other day and I was wondering if the profit margin would be any higher since the build out is not so involved and the overhead does not seem as high either (less employees and other expenses). How does a smaller place compare to a stand alone (rent, product, employees, etc..) It seemed like a good investment, if you are in the right mall or galleria.

Thanks,

Marcus

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Marcus i have 5 Subway Sandwich shops in malls, three of which are in food court's. Ive found the build out to be less than a typical store, but only because i take over someone else's leasehold improvements. We have a relatively small equipment package compared to most other food court tenants. This allows us to adopt to the previous tenants design without much changing. If you have to start from scratch, construction can be double to triple what it might be elsewhere.
    Other concepts that typically have drive-thrus might have slower than average sales. I find sales to be higher than average for our chain.
    Other positives easier to attract help, higher prices sometimes, high drink sales, lower labor costs. On site landlord management and diffrent cash-flow compared to outside stores.
    Rain outside hurts traditional stores, helps malls. Winter is busiest with the holidays while slower for again tradtional stores.
    PM if any more questions. Hope this helps
    Dave

3. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    I have a friend that works at Yummy Korean BBQ at Ala Moana Mall (Honolulu, HI) and they averaged $80,000 a day in December. Seems to be a lot of money to be made there.

4. NNO Ferrari

NNO Ferrari Rookie

Jan 13, 2004
    6 feet below Maranello
    Full Name:
    Nno Ferrari
    Randall,
    I would stop ordering the sea snake if I were you....people will come out and call you a cannibal! I bet that would(n't) sit well with you.

5. 1992F40

1992F40 Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks DaveM and Rabdall, very helpful!