Does this 550 Engine look off to you? | FerrariChat

Does this 550 Engine look off to you?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dramakingdfw, Aug 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dramakingdfw

dramakingdfw Rookie

Aug 3, 2022
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I'd love to hear thoughts comments on this engine as I'm currently evaluating a purchase. I've gone through and looked at maybe 25 examples online and none of them exhibited what this one is showing. Anyone know what caused it, and is it an issue?

It's a 97 with 30k miles, 2 owners, full service history from Ferrari.

Best
    Drama

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Looks like someone may have taken the covers off during a service and then refinished them with some sort of crinkle-finish paint. As for concerns, difficult to say, as the surface of the covers is purely cosmetic. Would have to delve more into what the service was and how competent the shop doing it was.

3. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Its cosmetic as long as its only on outside. If inside were also done and it breaks off guess where all those pieces end up.

4. dramakingdfw

dramakingdfw Rookie

Aug 3, 2022
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not making much progress with the selling dealer as of yet (mostly cold shoulder) as they have a current local customer who's apparently interested in it. If things progress will let you know what I find out regarding this potential coating/what it means.

5. Roadking

Roadking Karting

Oct 9, 2005
    Check to see if under hood insulation is drooping and making contact with affected area. Vibration will cause some wear marks. If so, not to worry.

LARRYH likes this.