Doesn't seem possible that world's first triple 7 going to a museum | FerrariChat

Doesn't seem possible that world's first triple 7 going to a museum

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by energy88, Sep 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Lots of interesting photos in article.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    ...after nearly quarter of a century of flying, the first ever 777 has made its final flight -- to an aerospace museum in Arizona, where it'll see out its retirement as a top attraction.

The prototype 777-200, call sign B-HNL, rolled off the production line in 1994, eventually entering commercial service for Hong Kong's Cathay Pacific airline in 2000.

Over the years it's clocked up 20,519 flights for Cathay. That's a whopping 49,687 hours of flying time.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cathay-pacific-boeing-777-aviation-museum/index.html

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Avg flight cycle only 2.5 hrs, and >3 flts/day avg. Cathay used it as a big 737.

and 20500 FC and 50000hrs is not whopping

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I still think of the 777 as a "new" airplane, only to consider that it's been in service nearly a quarter-century.....

energy88 likes this.
  4. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I still think that about 757s and they’ve been around since 83. We need some new blood, current planes are getting boring.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I do, too, Jim. That was the most enjoyable and exciting and challenging program on which I worked in my 48 years of association with The Kite Factory. We produced a great airplane!

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    To me, they all look like they came out of a 737 cookie cutter- big, medium, and small.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    That’s it precisely. They used to have all these radical designs...L1011, convair 880/990, dc-9 series etc etc. now they are pretty much all twin jets with just different sizes. Although the 787 and a350 do look kinda cool but that’s just because the nose sections are interesting.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The ongoing output of airliners , and for some time, are variations on a theme, set forth by the Boeing 367-80 in 1952 (when the design was set). If one is close to subsequent iterations of it they will see many of the variations but the basic concept is still the rule.

energy88 likes this.
  9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The only difference between then and now is the number of engines. Back then, 13,000 pounds of thrust was the most that could be reliably gotten from the available engines, so four were necessary. As engines gained in power, three was sometimes the optimal number. Now that engines are available at over 100,000 pounds of thrust, with greater efficiency and less noise and smoke, two is adequate for all sizes of jet, which is why the A340 was a failure and the 747 is on the way out. And consider that today's 737 uses the same fuselage and nose as the first production 707!

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They also needed 3 engines for ETOPS, for a while, I think.

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They needed 3+ until FAA and ICAO allowed ETOPS (Extended Operations, Extended-range Oparations, Extended-range Twin-engine Operations, Extended-range Twin-engine Operational Performance Standards, take your choice). Note even the 747-8 has an ETOPS number of 330 minutes, although it only applied to twins at one point.

12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Ya' got it wrong, Taz. It's Engines Turn Or People Swim.

tantumaude likes this.
  13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Everyone understands that Bob... thanks.

14. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know. I just had to do it.