Don't Post Racing Videos Rule | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Don't Post Racing Videos Rule

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by Black355, Nov 28, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PorscheTurboS

PorscheTurboS Karting

Nov 3, 2005
    Jersey shore
    Full Name:
    Patrick Birde
    i really dont get how you guys would be liable.... the only instance i could see that is if someone made a post liek "hey guys im gonna try and do 200+ mph" or organize some sort of illegal streetrace...but posting the videos afterwards, i just dont get how ferrarichat would be held liable..... im not complaining im just curious what has happend in the past, maybe to other forums???

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think there are at least two issues here.

1. protection for the site and its owner.
    2. protection for the members here.

Both are valid. You're going to see tests within the legal system on this stuff, and it's not just for speeding tickets. There are other charges that could stem from a wreck of one of these high end cars, followed by an online search for information about the driving habits of that individual. The car sites are well known, so are YouTube and the other video posting sites.

Wreck your high end exotic on route 287 and take someone out with you and there will be lawyers crawling all over these sites looking for additional instances of excessive speed to support their multi-million dollar wrongful death suits.

Now, since you as the driver will be dead if you're involved in one of these horrific wrecks, I guess the consequences to your family or your estate don't matter, but someday it might, and past wrongs can certainly be cited in civil suits to support an argument, and nothing that's posted on the internet ever goes away.

As to the site being protected, any involvement in a drawn out legal battle over sources of material, or simply providing information and testimony about anything posted here, costs money, and I'm pretty sure Rob doesn't want to spend Fchat resources helping prosecutors or litigators on this stuff.

So, there are a couple reasons for the rule. I'm sure, if I asked our legal eagle and the owner guy for more, they'd have them.

Dave

3. cmcjo

cmcjo Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe
    OK, at least we have the answer now and it certainly makes sense. Thanks for posting that. Although the one comment about "the consequences to your family or your estate don't matter" seems a little harsh since I would think everyone here would care that their family was taking care of after they died. Unless I read into that wrong.

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I think my point there was if you had a family, wife kids, etc, and you drive your Lamborghini at 200+mph on public roads, you are putting your life, and the lives of those around you at a much higher risk than the guy doing the speed limit.

It's called reckless driving for a reason, and I think guys who drive that fast are taking crazy risks with their lives. I have a family, I would never put their futire well being at risk by driving at a rate that practially guarantees huge fines, maybe jail time, or worse yet, a fatal crash.

that's what I meant.

Dave