Door Trim | FerrariChat

Door Trim

Discussion in '206/246' started by possum, Nov 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Does the rubber door seal fit hard against the leather door trim when door is closed or should it make contact with the door surround under the trim?my new trim is being damaged and the door a bit tight to close.

2. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #2 isuk, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It sounds like your seal is the wrong size. I had this problem on my first car where the door seal had been replaced at some point with an oversized seal. As a result it made the doors difficult to close and was pushing them out of alignment. When I bought my second car which was completely original I was able to see that the squashable rubber U section was about half the size of the one on my first car. The attached pic shows the size of seal you need.

The seal should be cut in a simple mitred join in the front lower corner next to each footwell. The seal should also be cut in the top rear corner. I've included a pic to show you how this was done by the factory as it is more complex. The rigid U shaped chanel was cut back by around 2cm leaving a section of the compression rubber tube exposed. This is opened out into a T section and overlaps the compression section of the seal placed along the top of the door aperture seam.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Iain
    Did you source that over here?

tony

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I did Tony.

5. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Well thankyou so much Iain,Ive measured mine 25mm wide x20mm high a big variation,my other question is,when the door is closed does your door seal squash against the leather door trim or does the leather door trim sit on top of the seal,mine squashes against each other and is destroying my new trim.Im hoping that a combination of a smaller seal as you have shown and altering the trim so it sits on top of the seal when closed should fix it up.The trim would have to come up around 20mm and another beading stiched in a real pain in the u know what.

6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Johnno,

The seal shouldn't touch your door trim card at all but rest on the exposed metal edge of the door around it. Your current seal is too large and possibly not cut correctly into the two opposing top and bottom corners hence why it is pushing onto your new door card trim.

7. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Another dino saga coming up thanks for your help.

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #8 isuk, Nov 4, 2012
    Here are pics of my doors to show that there should be around 10mm or so of exposed paintwork around the edge of the door card which the door aperture seal mates up against when the door is closed. The seal should not touch the door card at all and you should still be able to see part of the painted surround when sitting in the car with the doors closed like you can in this pic showing my passenger door firmly closed and sealed yet the paint is just visible along the bottom of the inside of the passenger door.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Looks nice.....and clean too.

10. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Hi Iain,can you tell me if the door seal in your picture where it overlaps in the top left hand corner and fixed together,is this method the same at the lower right hand corner of the same door or is just butted together.
    cheers mate

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #11 HMB-Dino, Jun 11, 2013
    In post #2, that upper corner does NOT look mitered to me either. This revival of this post is timely as I just acquired that piece to replace the relatively hardened (with age) original piece. On mine, those corners (upper rear and lower front) are cut to ~45 degree angles...ie, mitered. In your picture, the corner appears overlapped somehow.

Also, those dimensions do not seem correct. Per Cicognani web page for this part (Dino 206 - 246 GT (1967-73))

(p/n 16325160 RH/LH DOOR OPENING RUBBER SEAL)

It's profile and dimensions are this...

12. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I believe it should wrap the door and seam should be at the bottom, centered.
    top run should not have any breaks....

13. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I don't think it's possible to make 90 degree bends with this trim given its interior metal `gripper'. The upper front and lower back `corners' are gently sweeping curves allowing for a continuous stretch of trim. And having a seam in the middle of a run really seems just wrong...even for an Italian car!

14. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #14 isuk, Jun 11, 2013
    Apologies, mitred was the wrong word to describe it. My Rosso Dino car's seals in post #2 is exactly as it left the factory. The seal on my E series car is not like the Cicognani part. Their dimensions are too large and the compressible rubber section is not the shape they show.

The top T section you see is created by removing the requisite length of the plastic covered U shaped chanel leaving only the foam bulb at the top of the seal. You then fold back each side of the foam opening it out so it is flat and trim it to the appropriate size to lay over the top of the section that runs horizontally over the top of the door opening thus creating the T shape you see in the photo.

Here is a somewhat crude picture of what I'm trying to describe.

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I know it's not how it came from the factory, but in southern California heat in the car is an issue so I removed the seal and put simple edge covering in its place.

No seal = more airflow inside the car and out around the door = driver stays cooler.

16. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Right, its a GT, was thinking of something else.

17. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Iain,what does your seal do at the very bottom corner near the lower door hinge does it butt together?

18. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Iain can you let me know where you purchased the door seal from all my enquires are for the larger profile.

Cheers johnno

19. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #19 isuk, Aug 24, 2013
    johnno,

I've sent you a PM.

I've just realised I posted the wrong picture for the deal seal in my post #2 which shows the incorrect size so my sincere apologies are due to everyone. Here is the correct size plus a photo of how the seal fits in the corner below the door hinges.

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Iain, what`s the Cicognani code?

21. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Matthias,

I've sent you an email. Cicognani's code appears to be 16325160.

22. possum

possum Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2008
    australia
    Full Name:
    johnno
    Mr fiat shows a door seal kit which seems to have a small cross section profile,has anybody used this seal and if so could you post the profile measurements please.

23. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Ian, could you let me know who in the UK you bought this seal from please.
    Many thanks

24. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I found them on eBay Charles. I can't recall who the vendor was unfortunately as it was 6 years ago now.

25. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Ok Iain, Thank You