Driving the Portofino during winter | FerrariChat

Driving the Portofino during winter

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by cyr, Sep 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    My new Porto is my DD and I intend to drive it everywhere during winter. Well, except during real snow and will not attempt to test her roadholding prowess :rolleyes:. I live in The Netherlands and it does not really snow here for more than a few days during winter. Average daytime temperatures probably around 5 degree C. Any tips on what I should :p or should not :(do to prepare for winter and drive during it?

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Your weather seems a bit like winter here in DFW, maybe a tad colder for you guys on average.
    How likely is rain during winter? Rain & cooler temps (say 5 - 10 C), while driving on summer
    performance tires would be the combination worry me. Especially in traffic, when you cannot
    assume the people around you are being as careful as you.

If it were me, and you are going to DD it, I would change to winter tires, and just enjoy...T

3. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    My Portofino came with Pirelli PZero tires (summer tires),and they were excellent in the rain.

4. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    BHMSOCCER, BLAMPEE, ryalex and 2 others like this.
  5. Mba

Mba Rookie

May 6, 2019
    Below 7 degrees winter tires also on dry roads guarantee a safer driving. I would reccomend you to change your summer tire which are not meant to be used in a 5 degree weather, you will find them slippery with possible sudden loss of traction also on dry road covered with salt. Go with a new set of Michelin Alpin and you will find the difference.

tomc likes this.
  6. California Dreams

Feb 13, 2019
    If you don't change to winter tires you'll get wheel hop, very unpleasant. However before you invest in winter tires you should make sure you really want to DD in winter. At least the Cali just didn't feel happy in winter, e.g. shifts were jerkier, engine takes forever to warm up, CCBs not great in winter. Its doable but not a great use of mileage IMHO.

7. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    #7 SilverLeaf, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    God, that's beautiful @uhn2000
    Is that Tour de France blue?

Cyr, definitely switch to all season or winter tires at an absolute minimum. Summer tires are downright dangerous in cold/icy weather. Also keep in mind that road temperatures in the winter can be 20 degrees cooler than the ambient air temperature, so even if the air is above freezing, the road surface might be below it. What I've read in the past is summer tires start losing grip rapidly below about 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

https://www.wheelhero.com/blog/learn-about-summer-tires-temperature-range/

Having said that, I'd recommend not driving the car in the winter. Even if you're a good driver and fully prepared, it doesn't mean others are. The odd of getting into an accident and much higher in cold weather, and the salt/sand will eat away at your car.

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What ever you do, get wi ter tyres. Below 10 c or so, MPS4S become worthless, and PZero's even more so if you're unlucky enough to have gotten the car with those.

Here's an example from real life. Lusso V12 on a 6-7c day, slightly moist but not wet. Getting on the motorway in an easy fashion as there was traffic. Car was in WET and tyres had less than 2500 km on them. Driving straight and just following the car in front. At 60 km/h the rear decides to let go. Trust me when I tell you that you have enough torque on tap so that winter tyres is a must where you are. The Lusso does have a bit more power, but it also has the 4RM system. That little incident was just the reason why winter tyres is about much more than snow. On winter boots, I can flog it pretty hard and it does not misbehave. Get winter boots on it, some rubber floor mats and you have yourself a great wi ter daily. As long as your tyres are fine, a bit of snow is not a problem.

Oh, and make sure the underside is rust proofed.

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yup, TDF Blue, one of my favourites!

BHMSOCCER and BLAMPEE like this.
  10. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Also known as To Die For Blue! Gorgeous!

11. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    So stunning! Am I remembering correctly that you sold it? If so, I can see why you miss it. Hope you'll get back into one soon.

uhn2000 likes this.
  12. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

I miss my TdF/Cuoio F355 Spider!!!!

13. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Hey guys, thans a lot for your advice. I had a 911 before the Porto and drove it in the winter on its summer tyres. It did slip occasionally but I was pretty careful and never had an accident. Drive slower than everyone else was the motto.
    The Porto on the other hand has a lot more power that the wheels have to cope with, so:
    I shall get winter tyres. Had decided to do this anyway
    no driving when the roads have been salted or full of snow. Our roads are salted maybe 10x the entire winter, seldom more. It is very wet here in winter, not snowy
    no playing around with fast acceleration,:(. But on a dry day I take the car repeatedly upto redline:) to keep the engine in shape. Maybe once a month in winter.
    The roads in the village where I live are not asphalted but covered with bricks (to keep the "olde world village look"). They are NOT good for grip, even in summer and especially in the wet. So let every Honda, Fiat etc. overtake me :rolleyes:
    Keeping in mind being careful, I shall continue to use the Porto to go to the supermarket, baker, greengrocer and pick up the occasional pizza.:)

Wish you all well for the winter too.

BLAMPEE and tomc like this.
  14. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    BLAMPEE and BHMSOCCER like this.
  15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    She's a stunner. No wonder you want to drive her 24-7-365...T

BLAMPEE likes this.
  16. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Get the winter tires. This beauty deserves them!

17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    careful with the sport mode on wet. I had a light medium press and ended up with an half spin on sport mode even though esc is on.