Dry Sump Conversion | FerrariChat

Dry Sump Conversion

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by pma1010, Apr 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Anyone done it? If so, can you describe parts, post any pics? I am looking at one "kit" which will involve some machining work.
    Philip

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Those parts are pretty generic. Why don't you rip off the 308 fiberglass drysump design, using of course obtainable parts? If you are drysumping you are doing it for tracking? If so you don't need the A/C pump / air rails etc.. so you should have plenty of room to retrofit a system. If you are going to street the car forget the drysump. You would then be wasting time and money that could be better spent IMHO.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    FBB (Billy?), the car is used almost exclusively on the track, and yes, this is the reason for considering the modification. I don't have air pumps, the manifold et al on the car (although it is all cleaned and boxed up in the basement of my house).

The issue seems to be the mounting of the scavenge pump displacing the AC.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    PMA,

Can you weld? I would think the most dificult problem is making the connections to the motor. The scavaging pump is more of a logistical and custom bracket making problem that is most easily solved if you can do your own welding. Additionally, I seem to remember most of the add ons I have seen use a cogged gear so you need to fabricate coming off the snout. I don't think comming off the a/c area is the hot ticket. I think you would be better served for lots of reasons going to the hole between the block and alternator. Have you thought of that? 1) weight lower in chassis, 2) shorter belt, 3) you need heavy duty and power to run pump can come directly off the crank. You know this will rob some power from you? If you are tracking the name of the game is compromises. If for the tracks you run you can get by with extra oil and windage trays you will be lighter and faster.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Philip, give James a call at Norwoods.
    If I remember right they have done multi-section dry-sump
    on race engines.

6. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dave, good call. James P. is advertising a dry sump conversion on their site without an engine pull.

7. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I talked to James P@ Norwood Performance. Bottom line: doable without an engine pull but a lot of work. He's due to send me some pictures and spec. With his permission, I'll post here.
    Philip