Electrical Connectors | FerrariChat

Electrical Connectors

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scowman, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie

Attached Files:

2. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  3. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Connectors melt due to excess heat cause by a bad connection, excess resistance. Replace both male and female side of the connector and you should be ok.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Even after you replace connector .. keep an eye on it .. it may be the fan motor is going south and pulling to much current causing overheating and melting of connector

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

6. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    #7 scowman, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Took it apart, cleaned contacts, bent contacts up for tighter fit, applied Oxguard, soldered and replaced. It works! Good for now but will keep an eye on it. Ordering a new connector for a proper fix at a later date.

Of note is the wires on the fan are much thicker guage than the wiring harness. Interesting how the engineers of the fan have a different opinion than the engineers of the wiring harness...

Might be a good candidate for a fat wire relay direct from the alternator which is not far away.

Ak Jim likes this.
  7. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Any idea what the motor resistance should be? I got about 0.4 ohms when I measured after my "repair."

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Unfortunately I don't but maybe others can chime in

9. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    That's because the engineer of the fan does not know the size of the wire the harness engineer intends to use. So, to be safe, he must specify a fan wire size appropriate for the maximum power rating of the fan, plus some safety margin.

Since the wiring harness engineer is responsible for circuit fusing, he can use a wire size appropriate for the size of his fuse. Depending on the size of the fuse he selects, the harness wire size may well be smaller than the fan wire size.

In general, the fuse will be sized to protect the smallest wire in the entire circuit. If your fan were failing and drawing too much current, it should have blown the fuse before affecting any of the wiring components.

thorn likes this.
  10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    12 volts into 0.4 ohm is 30 amps. Your fan is done. If you open up the passenger footwell, you will notice that the fuse board is melting at that fuse location. Don't wait, change the fan now before you pay for the expensive fuse board. $120 for a fan. Change both fans. They are the same age.

flash32 likes this.
  11. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Damn near a short...I agree, replace the fan before it eats itself or worse....

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  13. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Thats’s ugly! Thanks. I will check into that. Will run resitnace on the other fan as well.

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Instead of resistance .maybe consider putting a mulitmeter in circuit to determine amps as it turns on as well as running .. I think that would give you a more accurate power draw

15. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Might try that tomorrow. I got 0.1ohms on the 12" fan. Only 0.2ohms on the 16" this afternoon.

are these the correct part numbers for the spal fans for the 456? I know I'm changing it up here:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Check the ground.

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Don't forget the wiring ultimately goes back to the wonky electrical relay box. Open that up for a real surprise. All Ferraris should be retrofitted to get the fans off the electrical box. The wiring is marginal for the fans especially as they age. There are almost universal burnt connections over the entire fleet for all years of Ferrari.

18. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

+1 to FBB's post. Get all the high current consumers off the main fuse/relay board. Ferrari engineers have SFB when it comes to electrical stuff.

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #21 Steve Magnusson, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    +1 -- doing a V=I*R calculation on an electric DC motor (at 0 RPM) only represents the initial inrush current (and that only lasts for a very short time). When the motor is actually running, it will generate a back EMF that greatly reduces the effective V and lowers the current I. (Melting at the fuseblock is caused by I^2*R heating more from a small unwanted resistance in the contacts at the fuse ends rather than a higher constant motor current. A higher constant current wouldn't help, but it can't increase much as this will blow the fuse - i.e., the constant current could maybe increase 1.5X without blowing the fuse, but the unwanted contact resistance can increase by a factor of 50~100X.)

20. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    You all make some very good points. My wrap around amp meter is not working so I will need to get another to test the current draw.

I’m going to install some relays regardless of the results to get the fans off the circuit board. I think I will run it off the alternator terminal with respective fuse lines. Not too far of a run for either fan.

Will report back amp draw when I can.