348 - Electrical Problem - Starting | FerrariChat

348 Electrical Problem - Starting

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348steve, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    Help me diagnose this please ...

Turned the key and the starter worked for about one second, but then the entire electrical system blacked out. After a few seconds of trying again, the car simply started. The clock was now flashing indicating that indeed we lost full power to everything. All seamed well. Strong cranking, battery appears strong, etc...

Days went by since that first occurrence, but then last night it happened again. In a similar fashion I turned the key and the starter kicks in for a second then .... electrical blackout. This time it did not come back.

Just for the sake of it I tried to boost the car. It worked, car started and I drove away. But within 100 yards the car stalled and could not be started again. At this point the battery does appear drawn. I try to boost it again but this time the starter is sluggish, even when boosted, and the car is not able to start.

2. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    I’m thinking a loose ground wire somewhere that is making intermittent contact. Or maybe a loose battery post terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Wade likes this.
  3. The Outcast

The Outcast Formula 3

Apr 19, 2011
    Royal Oak Michigan
    How long have you had your battery?

4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    How about the master battery cable plug?

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Front battery or rear battery? Does it have the rotary "battery isolator" knob/switch?

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Are you boosting the battery at the battery itself or at the battery terminals in the engine bay?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Check the tightness of the nuts on the engine bay terminals. Sometimes they are not tightned properly after an engine change. Intermittent terminals here will affect battery charging, starter, etc.

348steve likes this.
  7. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I tested the battery first thing. While 7 years old, it appears to be good, holding a charge and cranking out 700 amps. I was sure it was that as well, but now that I tested it I am not convinced. May buy a new one anyways.

The Outcast likes this.
  8. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    It is front battery. I am going to start the diagnostics today and will be checking this area near the switch for sure!

9. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    Hmmm, not sure what that is but I assume it is close to the battery and part of the wire routing. I will disconnect all such plugs clean them. The fact that the entire electrical system blacks out indicates an open circuit on either the positive or ground somewhere "near" the source.