Electrification | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Electrification

Discussion in '296' started by kbaillie, Jul 15, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    As I said, this is all hypothetical until we get a 'real world' quote for the cost of replacing the whole battery pack. We're talking about battery failure after the initial warranty. I simply remind you that many vintage Ferrari has maintenance costs that far exceed their initial acquisition cost when talking about long-term ownership.

Again, I never thought high upkeep costs would be an issue on a Ferrari would be a deal breaker now (whereas before, it was an accepted fact of ownership)

I can only surmise there are 'other' reasons for the consternation all of a sudden.

;)

Jaguar36 likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  3. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    These pics make the battery pack replacement look pretty dang simple. Pull the seats out, remove some trim, swap the pack, Bob's your uncle! :rolleyes:

4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Or...a future upgrade battery pack! More powerful battery would "unlock" more power from the electric motors..

kbaillie and JJ77 like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Although this has been this way since the LaF but just realized the battery leads aren't color coded (pwr/gnd). Maybe just to distinguish from low voltage wires but don't nick the wrong side!

6. JJ77

JJ77 Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2020
    Bloody good idea… you might be on to something here!

kbaillie and JTSE30 like this.
  7. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Whilst it should be possible to install future batteries that have higher power density they will likely only give a longer range.

More "power" would involve upgrading the circuitry to handle it unless it has been designed for future upgrades but that would cannibalise new models.

Of course with an extended EV range you could drive the car longer in qualifying mode so you get the existing top performance for more time :)

8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #60 day355, Sep 10, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    These are consumable cars, it is obvious that when it is necessary to replace the batteries, the brakes, the electronic bugs, the turbos... the costs will be such for a mass-produced car with no future in collection, that there will be no more buyer opposite
    on the second hand market.
    Do you think they will have a state of mind to sell the parts as expensive as possible ... moreover they have been doing it for a while !!!
    You have to look the truth in the face...

9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    I suggest a horse drawn carriage for you sir. You will only have to change the horse every 10 years...

kbaillie likes this.
  10. JMJ

JMJ Karting

Jan 27, 2015
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey J