Engine bay wash | FerrariChat

Engine bay wash

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by firewire, Jan 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Hi, I usually wipe my engine bay with a wet cloth. However for those hard to reach places I can't get access to it with my cloth.

I was thinking of washing the entire engine bay with soap and water. Can I sprinkle water onto it? Is there any thing I should cover? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know I've seen at least two other threads for this. I'll try to find those, but you could also look for articles on detailing sites like Autogeek.net and many others

3. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    "Scrubbing Bubbles" is the best. Good posts with pics on the 360/430 forum. I used it on my 360 and it's almost magic. Spray the entire (cold) engine with it, let stand for about ten minutes, then rinse. I use an adjustable garden sprayer with de-ionizer to gently flood the engine. Follow up with Griot's Engine Bay Dressing and the results are spectacular IMO.

Cheers, Andy

unreelviper likes this.
  4. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Pictures??

spikef15c likes this.
  5. Raydog9379

Raydog9379 Karting

Jan 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ray
    You are spot on... Scrubbing Bubbles. I use it on my cars. Sometimes I have lemon scent and well... I get a lemony hint. I had a C3 Corvette that was caked in gunk / grease, etc.. I couldn't believe what it did. Who knows how many years worth of gunk just broke loose. I was skeptical like many, but did some research on it. Then once I did it myself, was sold. Wife wondered why I was buying a bunch of cans of Scrubbing Bubbles at one point.

6. Einsteiger

Einsteiger Karting

Oct 9, 2014
    Overland Park, KS US
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I think the idea is using a passive cleaner - I like the Griots engine cleanter - spray it on and agitate the really dirty areas with a small paintbrush, then use an equally passive water spray to rinse; meaning don't use a pressure washer or even a strong spray from the garden hose. I like the garden sprayer idea.

Using the scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner is a really unique and intriguing idea. Probably beats paying the high prices for the fancy detailing projects. :)

7. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Spray electrical connectors, plug wires, coils, sensitive areas first with a water dispersant such as CRC 556. Don’t blast an ecu, fuse box, or sensitive areas with a direct stream. Dispersant may be needed with compressed air to dry electricals, in the event it doesn’t start or starts but stumbles and misfires. Condensation can form in distributors or other places leading to unseen or hard to dx problems at start up. Those sensitive areas can be, or are better addressed with a dispersant or detailing spray and wiped down, then covered with bags/plastic sheeting and tape, etc. Keep your air filter dry. Chances of condensation forming are higher on warm engines. Remember it will form to the warm side of things. Mind vents to trans axles, differentials, valve covers-whatever applies.

Einsteiger likes this.
  8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So is it OK to get the Scrubbing Bubbles and water on the timing belts and bearings. I am assuming so. But what about gunk off the engine getting down there.
    Probably better to protect the belt cover area above with tin foil or something. For 308.