Engine Cleaning | FerrariChat

Engine Cleaning

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Oct 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    My 360 engine compartment has a bad habit of collecting dust. I can hand-clean it, but is there a better way? If the car is cooled down, can it be sprayed with a hose without damaging anything?

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I use a moist cloth. I don't think I want to spray any water into the engine compartment since the bottom tray will trap it and cause an even worse mess underneath.

3. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Lots and lots of posts on this subject: Try the Search function. My advice: Don't use Scrubbing Bubbles!

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Hand wipe when the engine is cool. If you stay up on it there shouldn’t be to much trouble.
    Check in showroom section as well, use the search function, as stated many ideas.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I interested in your experience with scrubbing bubbles.. there is another thread that people swear by it .. please tell why you don't like it

Thanks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    don't use water or steam, leave it alone

it will never be the same or run the same after cleaning

7. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Scrubbing Bubbles left a white residue on my engine compartment's black side panels. Was very hard to remove.

8. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I had no problem with scrubbing bubbles, and my engine and side panels look spectacular. I used a gentle water mist on some areas to aid in cleaning. My car runs exactly the same as before. It just looks fantastic. I think a degreasing like this is nice once a year.

kes7u likes this.
  9. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sky Hye likes this.
  10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The rub with water in the engine compartment with aging electrical connectors and coils is water can and will get into things. You run the risk of a rough running engine. I'd hand clean it. Try a paint brush to get rid of the dust. Blowers never seem to get it all. Putting a new exhaust can on will reduce the dust. OEM muffler releases it everywhere.

11. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    That’s my car, I used a power washer with a wide nozzle and then a leaf blower. Been doing this since I got the car a few years back. Haven’t had any issues to date.

Manda racing likes this.
  12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Since the question comes up every couple of years, I can post this comment every couple of years.

When I got my first Ferrari I read every thread, and obsessed about making sure the engine was covered, bags over any electrical connections etc. before washing, and even then stressed out a bit about not getting too much water in the engine bay.

When I picked it up after the first full major service, my mechanic (a very respected factory trained mechanic with a great reputation in the community) walked me through everything he had done, and the engine bay was spotless. You could eat off it. I asked how he did it.

“Oh, I just spray it down with a ton of degreaser, let it sit, then hit it with the hose.”

Needless to say, I have not been anywhere near so ‘precious’ when washing the cars ever since.

Targaflorio0199 and Manda racing like this.
  13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I use scrubbing bubbles also, no issues, use a gentle hand pump garden sprayer with reverse osmosis water or distilled to rinse. Obviously, dont squirt hard right on electrical connections nor spray the foam all over them either. Never had a rough run or issue yet and engine looks great.

14. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I got a chuckle out of that. I'll ask the same question next time mine is in for service and see what the response is. For now, I just did it the hard way with a damp cloth and lots of time. We'll see how long it stays clean. As long as I'm not doing it EVERY TIME I DRIVE THE CAR LIKE BRAKE DUST ON THE WHEELS then it's not too big of a deal. (Low-dust brake pads are high on my to-do list)

15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I used Scrubbing Bubbles. No problem. Use common sense, and gentle spray of water. Rinse thoroughly and towel dry.