Engine issue! | FerrariChat

Engine issue!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Drew_4RE, May 26, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    #1 Drew_4RE, May 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Something happened to cause the EMU to back off of the timing-fuel map. Generally this is done to protect the engine from damage. This power reduction is what you felt.

The underlying cause could have been something transitory such as sub octane fuel or high altitude limited air supply under load, or even just a software glitch. Or it could be something more serious. If the condition persists after a shut down of the engine and subsequent restart to initiate the engine check sequence, you should bring it to the dealer for service.

3. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Thank you for the detailed reply. Let it sit, then restarted. All clear!

4. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    Software gremlin....

5. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Drew // It's always a great relief when a reboot gets rid of the 'problem.'

Not too long ago my BMW X5M, which has turbo boost to 19 psi, did the same thing while ascending Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado (11,000 ft). I had been through there a half dozen times with the car and nothing had happened. A shut down and reboot cured that too.

For some reason, there is no real time engine check/reset process that will return the fuel-timing map to normal when the condition that caused the glitch is removed. You have to shut down the engine then restart. This initiates the check sequence, which as you know takes quite awhile in the 458.

Enjoy the 458... and your other cavallinos

6. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Ok, issue came back. Then there was a catalytic converter issue.

Is there an O2 censor that could come off of the cat that would cause this issue?

7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    That is very good news!

8. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    You mean the "overheated catalyst" light came on? Often that means there is too much unburned fuel or CO going into the cat. The unburned hydrocarbon or CO could be the result of an overly rich fuel mixture.

If you are still getting signals, should bring it to dealer... you are close to BH Ferrari?

9. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    The error actually said, "catalyst temperature not plausible." And after sitting all night, restarting this AM, both warnings came right up. I'll take it to the dealer, but tuesday is a long way away...

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Might be consistent with a broken or disconnected sensor cable going to the cat. If you can trace it back, look for a disconnect.

SV

11. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Could very well be.

"Catalyst temperature not plausible" is a new one on me -- means it is reading too high or too low. It does suggest a sensor problem that is feeding errant temp data to the EMU, which then retards the timing etc. The fact that the signal did not return right away when you did the first reboot suggests that it was at first an intermittent problem which has become constant.

Good news is that it is almost certainly something trivial. And of course it will happen on a holiday weekend.

12. Challengehauler

Challengehauler Formula 3

Jul 28, 2008
    NE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    DB
    Do not drive the vehicle is the check engine light is flashing. Call for roadside on Tuesday and have her brought to the nearest dealer. If the cat/cats are overheating there is much damage that can be done.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  13. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
    Best advice.

14. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    +1

15. tuttavelocita

tuttavelocita Formula 3

Aug 26, 2007
    I had the 02 catalyst out of parameters warning maybe after my first 1K miles, i was out in the middle of nowhere very late at night, so i just shut down and restarted and nothing came back up. I babied it home and then had the dealer check it. I had 2 distinct errors, one was for a bad coil and the other for the 02 catalyst issue. FNA said to swap my coils around as the bad coil will also cause the 02 error, ever since then it hasn't popped back up. So it very well could have just been a loose coil plug that caused a misfire.

16. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Let us know what the dealer finds.

17. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Will do. Just called for pick-up

18. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    I'll bet on a malfunctioning or disconnected cat sensor, but it could be O2.

19. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Any news from the dealer?

20. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Hehe, yup. They didn't know the code and neither did the factory! Supposedly reset it and have been testing it and everything is fine. Waiting on more reports from the factory before they return the car. We'll see...

21. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Interesting.... so they say there is no hardware problem at all?

22. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I guess not. I should here more official answers tomorrow.

23. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Official answer:
    Bad resistor in the low speed fuel pump. New parts on their way and installed by friday.

24. Noblesse Oblige

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Very interesting. So we surmise that fuel supply was limited and/or the EMU cut back on the timing/fuel map. But the cat temp warning "not plausible" is still a head scratcher. If the map went into extreme lean condition, the cat could have heated up but then the warning should have been the usual "high catalyst temperature."

Oh well, the good news is that it is not a major engine problem. Hopefully you will have her back for the weekend in tip top shape.

25. Drew_4RE

Drew_4RE Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 19, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    Drew
    I asked specifically about the cat error and they said it would be an issue if the fuel flow wasn't correct. Thoughts?