Engine Not powder coated red?! | FerrariChat

Engine Not powder coated red?!

Discussion in '296' started by Oitbc, Jul 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oitbc

Oitbc Rookie

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    Phil Thomas
    Just saw the engine shots from Ferrari. It looks nice in bare metal but I’m so used to the engines being Ferrari red, it just doesn’t look right.

When you lift the bonnet/hood, it should be red or am I in a minority?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The cam covers are indeed red, but because it's a 120deg V you dont see them very well. And you have the turbos in the hot V, which cant really be painted any color.

3. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    All that is true but agree that not seeing the obvious red from somethin under the hood is odd. The plenum on my 83 308 is red When I open my modern f cars the red cam covers bring oohs and ahhhs.

Bill Phillips and Oitbc like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    ScottS likes this.
  5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The red cam covers is a relatively recent phenomenon on road cars, starting with the TR. On most modern Ferraris the red you're seeing is on the intake manifold. So I'm quite ok with this on the 296.

6. graeme355

graeme355 Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2004
    Given that under there is now exhausts and turbos instead of inlet manifolds any red paint would probably melt.

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I think the engine is the best looking part of the 296. If I anyone wants to criticize anything then surely there are plenty of other areas far more worthy of criticism than the engine. The engine looks perfectly fine to me. The exhaust outlet is a bit of a worry though.

SECRET likes this.
  8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Yeah, the unfortunate thing about it is also the shape of it will likely mean 3rd party/aftermarket alternatives will either be very expensive to manufacture or will end up being shaped different to ease manufacturing costs (read: potentially really ugly).

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ever Ferrari owner knows on start up the exhaust spits out a lot of black wet soot.

Never fancied any exhaust that has painted parts underneath it. Its gonna be a mess there.

Shadowfax likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #10 Shadowfax, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    I'm not sure what they were thinking insetting a rectangular box as an exhaust outlet when it's surrounded by paintwork, but then I guess when you look at the ridiculous looking livery we have our answer. It's one of those cases of fail after fail. It's nearly as if the design team were in a contest of who was able to create the biggest and most ridiculous looking fail. So many fails yet nobody on the inside of the organisation is prepared to call anyone out and take responsibility. Instead they prefer to back slap one another and massage one another's egos. That's an even bigger problem. Pathetic...

MANDALAY likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I dont get the small openings also . Maybe a feature for the front of the Roma but at the back ? Interesting to see how they are going to wrap that section .

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Maybe they thought they could hide those two tiny diameter drinking straws by creating the rectangular box to distract your immediate vision away from the visual weakness associated to the 2 puny outlets which indicate the engine must be very small in capacity.

I don't think wrapping is on their list of concerns or will ever be.

MANDALAY and SECRET like this.