Engine oil consumption | FerrariChat

Engine oil consumption

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by speedsport, Aug 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I did a search and it came up empty. How often are people checking their engine oil? Manual says it consumes 1-2 qts per 600 miles. That would imply people are having to add oil between annual services. Are people finding this to be the case? I haven't heard anyone discuss this.

2. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    #2 Noblesse Oblige, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    The 1-2 quarts every 600 miles seems to be an exaggeration to direct the owner to check often (which is good practice). I check about once every month but need to add a quart maybe after a couple of thousand miles or so. (I suppose that track time would increase consumption somewhat.)

PS the 12 cylinders seem to use even less, which is a good thing because the oil is only available in drums. It has the viscosity of peanut butter.

3. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    The consumption given in the handbook is to keep Ferrari from complaints.
    Mine has over 4000 miles now and I never added anything...
    P.S. You can get the oil at every Shell-station, at least here in Germany.

4. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    I check regularly, have 7k miles and one service so far at 4.5 k miles. No need to add oil yet.

5. abz

abz Formula 3

Aug 27, 2006
    PA
    Full Name:
    Al
    Agree with above comments with both my 458s. Have never had to add oil although I check it every 4-6 weeks. Currently have 4500 miles on my 2013. Oil changed at one year per Ferrari recommendations. Interestingly I had a different experience with my 430. Had to add a quart about every 1000 -1200 miles.

Based on a recent experience, I have one recommendation. When your oil is changed at the dealer and if you have a distance to drive home, check the level before you start your trip. At one recent oil change, I checked (as I always do) before I started my > 100 mile drive home and it was at the bottom marker. Went back to the dealer and they had to add 3/4 quart to bring it up to between the 2 marks.