Engine Overhaul? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Engine Overhaul?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Vitamin_J, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Us like you, are merely giving out opinions based on past experience and the available data.

2. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Well, obviously you haven't been as fortunate with dealers or their mechanics as I have. Sorry to hear that. My experience has certainly proved otherwise, I am quite happy to say.

3. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Actually, if they are cold, they could still be alive (especially children face first into cold water). As they say "if they aren't warm and dead, they aren't dead."

Not really relevant, but I don't have much else to add.

4. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Just proves rifle is not a doctor ;)

5. Rafienva

Rafienva Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2004
    North Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Ralph(Rafi) Cestero
    So, where are the results from the 2nd opinion?

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    :D Oh dear stand by.......

7. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    pretty much sums it up

8. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    another mechanic

9. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    you can post what you like. but if it's not relevant to the thread it's posted in, and designed to "prove" something, i'll call it out. i'm not over here because i got thrown out of the 328 section(still working on that). I'm here because the original poster referred me here from another post in my local section. unlike you, i have some experience and some friendships at fow. but, i don't have work done there (i'm too cheap). I did buy some touch up paint there a couple of days ago and got good service and a good price. They didn't even try to sell me a paintjob.

10. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    the voice of reason.

11. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    GRUMPY!!!!! I will still post what i like:D Ya sound like me grandad;) You will get on just fine here blowing sunshine up certain backsides LOL!!

12. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

They don't do paintwork (FOW).

13. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    that's probably they only reason the didn't try to sucker me into it.

14. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006
    grumpy and i'm blowin sunshine? dude, make up your mind.

15. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I agree that the original poster was not trying to throw FOW under the bus. He was shocked, Po'd whatever and wanted answers. To bad for him he looked for them from a few hundred people he doesn't know and have little background to base quality answers on. He should have asked some professionals for their opinion and he may have but this place and so many peoples desire for a which hunt just muddied the water.

What is disturbing is the readiness of so many to take part in the which hunt. With so little information, all from one side and all from a non technical individual who innocently probably left out a great deal of information that was conveyed to him that he either forgot or did not understand in the first place.

I have been in the Ferrari business for 30 years and know FOW's reputation well. I honestly do not know if I have ever even met anyone from there but I certainly do not blame them for not taking part in this which hunt. That would just be dumb. With their reputation if they are anything like any of the west coast shops that have any ability at all they are turning business away and their dedicated clients will give them referrals that will have a greater positive affect on them than any negative this bunch of clowns can cause them.

17. wetpet

wetpet F1 World Champ
    BANNED

May 3, 2006

i'm starting to like this guy

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    yeah! get a room!

19. Vitamin_J

Vitamin_J Formula Junior

Feb 4, 2006
    This thread is totally out of control... I should have known better than to ask for opinions on here.

I don't have all of the results back from the 2nd PPI, but the issue appears to be legitimate. Don't bather bashing me as I didn't questions FoW's test results.

Now it gets interesting. While I don't have exact numbers (tech and I played telephone tag today) the service manager says that the car's numbers are dramatically better after it comes up to temp. Hence, this is why the car runs so strong and that this 'defect' is not noticeable from the driver's seat.

It could have been like this for a long time and may not be anything more than a motor that doesn't perform well until meeting temp. We would have never known without FoW's tests and I am glad we found out.

Irregardless, I am going to have the car repaired. It has cost me to diagnose and repair an issue which has little to no effect the car's street performance. Maybe there are long term implications, maybe not. No tech, nor owner has a crystal ball on any car.

With that in mind, the buyer did the right thing and I feel I did the right thing by the buyer. I'm not going to speculate as the extent of the repair. I'll learn more as time passes.

Time to put the thread to bed.

20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Why don't you wait to see what the thread starter finds in his second opinion? There are a few here that are jumping to conclusions both bashing and defending the dealer. It's all worthless, in my opinion..........

I think V was correct to start the thread - ask questions - and get a second opinion. Only after that is complete will we have an idea of the truth. Then we will all be better for it. Bashing a dealership or sticking up for friends is a waste of time until the results.

Chaa, good to see ya mate......... please feel free to post more picts of any 355 that's been on as many journeys. Also tomorrow is a big day for my 355... I think you will approve!!

---------hmmmmm--------

Seems Jody posted as I was looking at the new threads. I didn't read his last until I posted.

21. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    whats happening tomorrow mate? :)

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Either something good................or not so good.... I wont know til tommorow. Just got to wait and see. I'll post picts for you. (If there is something to post)

23. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    LOL! I am going to bed now mate, i bet i wont sleep;) See ya tomorrow dude:)

24. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

Agreed, and I do know folks from FOW. Glenn was in a number of schools with us at FNA and FoSF durning the 355, early 360 era.

I have done numerous 355 engines and valve jobs and rarely do they run "poorly" before the work. The way they wear owners never feel the loss of power sneaking up over years of use. What they do feel is the difference once the problems are corrected.

Run and engine as lean as the 355's and put good cats on the car and they will pass emissions with horrible leak down figures.

I can hear a 355 with high leak down simply by listening to the car cranking before it starts. Performing the test only verifies which cylinder has the valve a miss at that moment. Remember, when they need guides, they need them ALL. One valve doesnt seat squarely one moment, the next moment another will not. Point being, once the guides are bad it is near impossible to duplicate the reading from one test to the next.

Before a major service I do a leak down test. Finding bad figures I pull the engine and with the cam covers off I do another. While the pressure is still on one hole I tap the cam follower with a brass punch to re-seat the valve in question. This will usually change the leak down from terrible to near perfect unless the valve is burnt.
    If someone was able to duplicate a leak down test (one day to the next) on an engine with guide problems only, I would highly question the test results.

Dave

25. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

What kind of cranking sound do they make if it has a high leak down?