355 - Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major | Page 3 | FerrariChat

355 Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major

Discussion in '348/355' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Oct 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As long as we are talking videos here is one every Ferrari owner with timing belts should take note of. Eric, are you watching?

WATSON likes this.
  2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Burger King Honey Mustard! Perfect....

Maybe the 355 does better with McDonald's barbecue sauce? I fear we may find out.

3. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    I am an ASE certified Master Tech with L-1 Emissions and Electronics Certification. Your diagnosis and explanations are not fully explained and seem mostly non-sensical to me. Show me a video of the engine running beforehand. I seems your show is aimed at Teenagers. Is that right?

Shark01 and WATSON like this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ha ha, omg, perfectly straight, right perfect I'm sure. Hell slight wobble helps.aiedlow anyhow and compression happens so fast a little loss if fine!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Well, there is this (snicker):

INRange likes this.
  6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Okay so that's why I have been confused.... the bad valve guides causes low compression as detected with a leak down and high compression at the same time.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

WATSON likes this.
  7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    See, now you have to watch all the videos to find out how. The seed has been planted. Devious! :D

8. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Worn valve guides are only detected by a leakdown or compression test when they're so worn the valve head isn't sealing against the valve seat properly.

You can have plenty worn guides but excellent compression/LD numbers. All a leakdown test does is pressurize the combustion chamber and measure how much air leaks out past the piston rings and the intake and exhaust valves. It measures valve and ring sealing, not valve guide wear. The real way to tell if you have worn guides (without taking the engine apart) is via oil consumption. But the problem here is that most sellers aren't going to say, "sure, the compression numbers are great but it burns a quart every 1,000 miles"

Zamboniman308 likes this.
  9. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Mine were replaced at 5500 miles. Service note diagnostic was excessive oil consumption. Shes now somewhere around 54K miles and showing no signs of disappointment.

10. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    A lot of 355's and 993's left the factory with bad guides -- not reamed correctly in the first place. 5500 miles isn't anywhere near enough to wear a valve guide. Not sure why in the late 1990's this was a problem for everyone. I guess it was a crazy time.

11. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    This is such a dumb thread. The guy literally doesn’t claim to be anything more than an at-home mechanic. He’s tearing an engine down with a friend who is a competent mechanic. He happen to video record the process. It’s on YouTube, it’s free. It’s for people who are interested. No ones forcing you to watch or write thesis on his terminology or engine knowledge

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #63 johnk..., Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    Likewise, this is just an internet discussion group. People happen to post responses to threads and express their opinions, knowledge. It's free. It's for people who are interested. No one is forcing anyone to read it or post here.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

thorn and WATSON like this.
  14. SpencerMarks

SpencerMarks Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 15, 2017
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Spencer
    No ones forcing you to watch his videos or analyze his videos. It’s the weekend. Find a hobby

15. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    This forum is a pretty tight knit group....we have been discussing these cars for years, if not decades, and know each other pretty well.

Yet, it is really weird that this thread (and the silly 348 thread) have people I have never heard of showing up insulting users and defending NGSD......who are you?

Shark01 and steved033 like this.
  16. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I'm always amazed at the interesting imaginations y'all have.

Because everyone is so nice and welcoming here, here's a coupon code as a thank you on our website, Normal Guy Supercar. Use fchat and it takes off 10% almost everything we sell. Plus we can get many parts not listed, just message me.

And for your entertainment, more wrenching.

JohnnyTT and Qavion like this.
  17. JohnnyTT

JohnnyTT Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    John
    Well said. The thread has really brought out the ***** brigade.

Nothing wrong with explicitly stating you are learning as you go along, and making a video.

If people want to correct and advise, that can easily be done with the intent to help, instead of acting like those less knowledgeable are beneath them.

Now here's the fun part. The video wasnt for me, but respect the guy for trying and learning.

18. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I don't know Normal Guy Supercar, but he seems down to earth and fully transparent. He comes across much more real that the other YouTube wannabees, so much less "flash". And he did a lot to draw attention to the CNC debacle and appeared to genuinely try to help owners who got scammed.

Net-net, YouTube is entertainment, you can switch it off if you don't like the programming. No one who needs serious advice to fix their car - let alone their unique and limited run exotic car - is taking that advice from YouTube, you come here to talk direct to the experts.

VAF84, Senshi458 and chopsui like this.
  19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think you have to put this video in context with the other 7 or 8 videos on the diagnosis/rebuild. Josh, the tech who was guiding them in the other videos, seemed like a knowlegeable guy. He did make a couple of minor mistakes, but I think we are all guilty of making off-the-cuff technically incorrect comments from time to time. Unfortunately, the people watching these videos don't always read the comments section where people correct the video's inaccuracies.

20. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    If people are doing engine-outs on their 355's or other major wrenching on the basis of one youtube video posted by a self-admitted amateur, there's nothing we can do to help them. These are idiots. (That said I am 100% confident there is not one person on Earth who is doing significant work on a 355 solely on the basis of Daniel's youtube videos.)

I've enjoyed watching Daniel's 355 vids and I think Josh is smart, knowledgeable, and charismatic. I would gladly take my 355 to him if there was something I couldn't fix myself. I genuinely don't get the complaints here. If the standard for making youtube videos was complete and total expertise, there would be no youtube videos.

VAF84, SpencerMarks, PhilB and 2 others like this.
  21. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    That said, I do have a complaint Daniel, which is SHOW CLOSEUPS when you're tearing an engine down. We want to see cam lobes, combustion chambers, etc. If you're in the vid remarking on the carbon buildup on a valve or whatever, for crying out loud, ZOOM IN so the viewer can see what you're on about.

22. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Haha ok. It's hard to sometimes remember what to film in the moment. Also getting right in there with the camera requires me to nearly put the camera on the part as I use a wide lens... Which blocks the light so then I get terrible images or other times I simply can't get the camera in a position to actually see it. I've already damaged the camera multiple times trying to get shots like that so I'm a little more cautious now.

VAF84 and Targatime like this.
  23. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    You could use a second camera...

24. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    I have lots of cameras. It's not as simple as you think.

EastMemphis likes this.
  25. AdamNGSC

AdamNGSC Rookie
    BANNED

Aug 25, 2021
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Adam H
    I bet you’re a blast at parties.

jqpd99 and Nuvolari like this.