355 - Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major | Page 5 | FerrariChat

355 Engine Rebuild - Was supposed to only be a major

Discussion in '348/355' started by Normal Guy Supercar, Oct 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No, its called the trust side and the coast side.

And nikasil liners can be rebuilt.

WATSON likes this.
  2. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Happy Thanksgiving for all of you in the USA. Here's the next video in the series, checking on the crank and main bearings.

jimmym likes this.
  3. fiorano#7

fiorano#7 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Wellington Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Florida Salt and Humidity - Suspected.
    Owner of a 355 F1 Spider, your video Part 3 was great, especially on the need to use an SD1 for diagnosis and why. I moved from Ohio to South Florida a couple of years ago, and humidity and salt air have really taken a toll. I have owned the car since 2002, and it has 46,000 miles up until July of this year no real issues, just regular majors and the window regulators. Now the electrics are really taking a toll from 2500 to 3000 RPMs. The engine wants to cut out under medium to full throttle in first and send gear. My mechanic's Leonardo is showing No codes! Does anyone monitoring this thread know of a good Ferrari shop with an SD1 in Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, or Miami?

4. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Thanks! I'll ask Josh if he knows anyone in that area. It is unfortunate but these cars are getting to the age at which the wires can start getting brittle or loose and cause wonky issues like that.

5. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    He said the only shop he trusts in Florida is Sarasota Italian Garage.

Qavion likes this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    is the car garaged most of the time? i have kept cars in the hamptons for 15 years with no issues (garaged all the time unless out driving).

7. fiorano#7

fiorano#7 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Wellington Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes garaged and covered unless driving.

8. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    Normal guy where is the Howard looks like we can sit have a few drinks and watch you guys work oh ya I don’t think wearing sandals while working on engines is a great idea

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    The Howard is in Austin. It's my buddy Richard's private warehouse and social club so it's not open to the public and we don't really want people to know where it is for obvious reasons. But if you're in the Austin area and wanted to check it out sometime we can probably make that happen

26street likes this.
  10. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Absolutely pissing myself laughing at this.

Adam doesn't say a lot but he's just the kind of dude I'd really get along with in real life.

11. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

You have no idea Dan! (Actually maybe you do). The electrics have been the biggest issue I had to get sorted out on my car. Turns out to be very little in the end but small things can really be hard to trace down. The Teves ABS system on the 2.7 can be a real b*tch in particular, be thankful you don't have one of those on yours.

12. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    You'd have to tolerate the constant barrage of dad jokes. LOL! But seriously, he's a good dude, that's why I asked him to join the company. :)

I had a great hour plus long conversation with Josh the other night about the electrical systems in these older Ferraris. He was lamenting how a considerable amount of his work is simply tracing out electrical faults caused by old wiring. The good news is they aren't old Jaguars. LOL!

13. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

You jest, but the f355 2.7 Motronic has parts from a Jaguar (Shared with a late 80's Ford Lincoln if I'm correct), including that Teves ABS unit I was referring to earlier.

In those days stuff was coming from all over the place...

And yeah those wiring diagrams can be tough to read. Quite often a circuit can have 2 distinct purposes depending on which way the current is currently flowing (flyback diodes on a few of the relays, for example)...

Engines were top notch, especially on the f355, even if the electrics and body work didn't always follow suit. But hey what do you want for a hand-built italian beauty.

I absolutely adore mine, I think they're the pinnacle of the mainstream F cars right up until the 458 came out - certainly the very best of the 80s-90's era.

14. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    It's funny because all of these cars are irrational decisions, but yet, we can't resist.

15. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

not living life is irrational!

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. Senshi458

Senshi458 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 17, 2015
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Qavion likes this.
  17. Normal Guy Supercar

BANNED

Sep 25, 2016
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Daniel Hurlbert
    Then don't listen to my recommendation. It's only a recommendation.

Targatime likes this.
  18. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  19. TheRossatron

TheRossatron Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    was FerrariChat always this salty?

I enjoy the videos and the insight, keep them coming!

JohnnyTT and Targatime like this.