348 - Engine repair thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

348 Engine repair thread

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarium, Oct 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    Makes me wonder what it would cost to get a run of those pulleys made up out of billet and having more material in the failure points. Do you have the old one we could use to get copied if a machine shop was interested. That way the fence problem could be permanently solved

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The new pulley is definitely better and beefier and 1/2 the price. Just needs a 3mm steel spacer.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    OK so I made the first set of spacers. Unfortunately I used the pully ID as a reference. The pully is press fit so the OD of the shaft is slightly larger. The spacer fits but you have to press it on. I don't want the spacer to be overly snug so I have to make them again. Another issue is the woodruff key is not full length so a spacer would slip off the back of the key and dangle on the shaft. So I will make them again slightly lager ID than the shaft like .04 mm larger so it should snug on but not need to be overly pressed. Then slide it on just over the key to seat it square, put the pully on, tap it on partially then tack weld it to back of the beefy snout. Slip it off then weld it permanently. You can see the back of the snout here. With the OD chamfer on the pully snout the weld should be good after you sand off the plating of course. Need to double check the OD and tap pully on and measure seating depth with exposed shaft then do some math etc. I don't want to make these things 4 times, it gets expensive making 10 at a time.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login [​IMG]

WATSON likes this.
  4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Two questions.

1) Why weld it to the pulley?

2) If not welded to the pulley, with you have to notch the spacer for the key? Looks like the spacer would be behind the key and not need to be notched.

steved033 likes this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ahhh, well the key is in there good appears to be press fit, it does not gently lift out, at least not on mine, getting it back in square could also be an issue if removed, its really freaking tight. To get the spacer on the shaft it has to be keyed really, its not big deal to make that.

In theory if it is just a spacer and rests against the bearing then no need to tack it yes. One issue is if it sits back, and the spacer slides off the back of the pully key, then is there a risk that is spins at a different rate as you ramp rpm's etc and that could cause some shaft and bearing face wear.

This is why I have to put the pully back on, measure the actual seating depth, measure the bolt stick out, remove it and determine if it indeed sits against the bearing. I think it does as the pully had marks on it from the bearing race.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    OK. I got you. But how would the pulley not seat against the bearing race? It's not a tapered shaft so there is nothing I can see in the pictures that would prevent the nut from bottom out on the threads when torqued except the pulley and spacer seating against the bearing. I suspect the shaft has a shoulder behind the bearing that the bearing race seats against. On the other hand, there appears to be a snap ring holding the bearing in place which would seem redundant if the pulley seats against the race. Must be some Ferrari physics involved. :)

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Its odd, if you look at the key it appears the key has a lip on the back, that means the pully likely never goes beyond that. If so then it does not seat back. It looks like a lot of space there but remember there is pully covers there when assembled. Task 1, seat the original pully and measure how far back it sits. Not tacking it would be great. Not too worried about the spacer spinning at a different rate the fit would be snug and it would be pressed between 2 surfaces.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Re-measured, should be ready for pick up in a week. It should slide on with slight friction and rest against the bearing race but not touch the seal and be the correct thickness which if anyone cares is 3.13 mm. Hopefully it will work and wont need to weld, one reason to weld is so you can get it back off. Have to balance it. Make it too loose and it can slop around too tight and you can't get it back off when its pressed against the bearing. Like baby bears porridge, it should be just right. Using 1018 steel.

9. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ok so new spacers are here. Yes you can pop out the woodruff key but it may either be stuck, one may not want to or what not and the cost to make the spacers with or without the key way is identical so I made them with for others ease. I made 10. The new pully is now identical to the old one measuring stick out. The spacer's JUST fit as I felt it important to get close tolerance as pressing the spacers on may make it hard to get them back off the bearing face. You'll swear they don't fit, but they do. The fences are thicker on the new one so its hard to tell by eye but my Mitutoyo caliper using depth of measure says they are within .02mm of each other, but the factory pully is not precisely machined as you get different measures from here or there in the pully breach. In addition the mating surface is the same as the pully end which is chamfered. I could have increased the contact area as you can see on the bearing but I left well enough alone. I recommend deburring the edges, they are sharp. Then a light coat of rattle can. Anyhow, check, done one better engine coming up.

BTW not sure if you noticed but when looking for the older model used pulleys, the fences are all jacked and bent. ANY they cost more than the newer better beefier pully. No way would I put that on. In fact if I actually SAW my pully when I bought the car and had a major done I never would have put it on.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

GTO Joe likes this.
  10. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    I always replace those keys whenever the pulley is off (on anything I'm working, not just 348's). Its good practice.

11. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I just removed the timing belt of my 348 (doing it with the engine in place, will write separately on it). The belt is 15 years old (manufactured in July 2006), installed by the PO in 2010 and done just about 5 k miles. The belt is still in exceptionally good condition. However, there is something a bit worrying related to how the belt rides over its main pulley. My engine No. is 25454 (Assembly No. 5250) so it uses the later, shorter rear snout, main belt pulley. My findings so far:

1. The belt appars to ride rather hard against the outer fence of the main pulley.

Outer side, made shiny by the friction against the fence:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Inner side, untouched:

Comparison of inner (top) and worn outer (bottom) edges of the belt:

The width of the old belt is 27.50 mm as compared to 27.85 mm of the new one. So, 0.35 mm has been shaved-off from the belt's outer side. Not much but it took place in only ~5 k miles. The belt is genuine Ferrari.

I can see a similar wear of the belt's outer side on the Jason's engine (shiny with the fabric at teeth made "fluffy"):

2. The outer fence on my main belt sprocket is intact but completely loose - I can easily spin it around and move (rattle) it laterally. Obviously, on the way to get dislodged at some later point. The said loosening of the fence has taken place over only ~14 k total mileage and two timing belts. I will be installing a new belt and a new main sprocket.

It appears that the failures of the outer fence of the main sprocket are caused by the belt riding hard against it. Is it because, by design, there is slight misalignment of the main sprocket with the rest of the timing gear? Or is it that, due to the direction of rotation and whatever, the belt moves outwards and rides against the outer fence?

In view of this, I would not try welding the fence as the problem does not seem to be in itself but in the excessive side pressure/rub of the belt against it. Under the pressure/rub by the belt, a welded fence can fail even easier due to its weakening at the weld points. So, a new main pulley every, say, 20-30 k miles seems necessary (judging by the fact that my fence has "half-failed" after 14 k miles).

Unles some other solution can be found. Perhaps bring the main pully out a bit, if the main crank pulley allows. Is it possible that, due to confined space towards the carnk pulley, the main belt pulley had to be positioned, by design, slightly inwards and offset to the rest of the timing gear?

Eric, if you have still not installed your new pulley with the fabricated spacer, perhaps you can remove/grind out the fence and the weld spots on your old pulley and temporarily istall it with the new belt on and tensioned. If you then rotate the engine a few times, this would show where the belt is sitting on the main pulley and whether the pulley would need to be positioned further out to avoid the belt hard side pressure/rub aganst the outer fence.

F1Flaherty and steved033 like this.
  13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tha'ts exactly the issue. Its also possible it will always apply pressure due to rotation forces even spaced out more. I too see the pully as a major service item as mentioned early on in this post.

The exact measurement of my spacer shows .18mm further stick out. Pully difference is 3mm my spacer is 3.18 mm. However these are not precision machine fit so when its on the measurement varies as I found. Some spots its more some spots its the same. The new pully has a fence twice as thick. Measuring the space between the fences would be good a well as that with belt wear will give the offset needed.

4rari likes this.
  14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Little work while I wait for my heads. I got my old woodruf key out and put a new one in, of course the spacer still fits like a glove. Made some fittings to pressure test the cooling system, got larger flywheel and altered the flavor inserts and seat to fit the 348 bolt nice and snug perfectly centered. Figure I might as well put the rear stainless brake lines on. Replaced all the solenoids. There of course is one you can't get to with the manifold on so may as well now. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WATSON likes this.
  15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    btw the centering flange for the timing wheel, open it up one step on both sides with an SAE stepped drill bit. Then the bolt can be threaded into the centering flange using a socket as the aluminum flange is very soft, it feels like 5052.

For the PVC fittings, drill is slightly smaller then force schrader valve threads into the PVC with a box wrench on the schrader. I added JB weld to prevent it from popping put under pressure, probably not needed but why not. The smaller hoses can be plugged with 1/4 inch extensions. :)

16. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Water pumps in good shape and has no play so it goes into spares bin, but as long as I'm replacing everything may as well replace it. I plan on absolutely ruining with mileage and I do not want back of the head nagging "what about..."

17. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Further info on my main belt sprocket.

The outer fence and its crimp have worn/loosened so much (in just 14k miles) that there is now a gap there of 0.4 mm:

At the inner fence, I can see that the belt was riding ~2 mm away from it (and riding hard against the outer fence):

My new sprocket is the same as what Eric bought (shown earlier). The fence thicknes on my old (2nd generation sprocket, shorter rear snout) is 0.8 mm and on the new (improved) sprocket it is 1.5 mm. However, as it will still be subjected to hard side pressure/rub by the belt, it will not be a permanent soulution. As pointed earlier by Eric, this sprocket should be considered a wear item and is not to be welded.

Bringing the main belt sprocket out a bit to releave the belt pressure on its outer fence does not seem possible as there is a very small gap between the outer fence and the crank pulley. Even if there was more space to bring the sprocket out, the idler and the tensioner wheels would also need to be brought out as the belt is currently riding up to the outer edges of these wheels.

In conclusion, I would suggest to everyone who has the main belt sprocket with a welded outer fence to take it out as soon as possible and install the new improved version of the sprocket (with a spacer like Eric's, if early model, as there may not be an improved version of the early, longer rear snout, sprocket). Of course, same goes to any sprocket having a loose outer fence ("time bomb").

Does anybody know anything about, what appears to be, a misalignment of the main belt sprocket (belt riding hard against its outer fence, in any case)? Was it ever recognised by Ferrari as a design issue?

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #93 Ferrarium, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    The idler pulley is pretty easy to pull out you just add an additional spacer behind it that one's pretty straightforward. The tensioner however is another problem bringing that out is a bit more difficult due to the housing.

I always assume the outer fence came loose because people putting the belt on and off would tug and pull and apply pressure against that outer fence trying to remove the belt.

And by the way not using a spacer with a new pulley would likely be catastrophic due to belt pressure on the front fence. The old police no longer available you can buy a refurbished but it's more than twice the price of the new better pulley.

19. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Next up is check and proposition valves. The ones on the car are 30 years old. They do contain baffles springs and diaphragms. They are consumable items internally they don't last forever like a block.

"Why those look brand new Eric, how is that possible?" Mirojub and myself had a post on that topic a while back is
    If anyone cares to see how you get/make a new one. Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #95 Ferrarium, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    On my failed pulley I don't see evidence of my belt riding high. But the walls are so thin and when you make the mistake of migging it notice how it goes all the way through the fence. At 12:00 you can see the bead on the back side of the fence went all the way through. Frankly all that did was damaged and weaken the fence making it unservicable. If it was tigged along the base that would likely be quite fine but that's not what they did on mine and not what I've seen most other people do. As mentioned previously just flat wrong on many levels.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

By the way those 4 nasty water pump bolts at the top of the block, 2 of them are NLA but you can get them in the correct spec from McMaster-carr.

Attached Files:

WATSON likes this.
  21. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I cut and removed the outer fence of my old belt sprocket to see how it has worn inside the crimp-groove (at 14k miles).

I was surprised to see that the fence is anchored inside the sprocket groove by just 1.3 mm:

Wear (carving) of the anchored part of the fence caused by the lateral pressure of the belt:
    The groove in the sprocket has also worn wider resulting in the gap of 0.4 mm between the fence and the side of the groove and resulting in complete loosening of the fence.

The part of the fence that is anchored inside the sprocket groove has nice 6 slots that make it easier for the fence to pop out once it, and the sprocket groove, have worn enough.

Well, I must say - shocking poor design, especially when this flimsy fence has to carry the side pressure of the belt. Hopefully, the outer fence of the now available improved sprocket will hold better.

22. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Mirojub, on your idler pulley in front of bank number 8 did you have a spacer between the pulley and the housing that it's pressed in? If not it would apply backward pressure on the belt and cause it to push forward just like uneven pressure on a belt sander.

I ask because whoever did my service last did not put that spacer back it's about 3 mm thick as far as I can tell I'm not exactly sure how thick it is.

23. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I always like reading these types of repair threads. Thanks for your commentary. I was contemplating this issue with the pulley fence. I was wondering if a revised design would be an option. Instead of the fence being an integral part of the pulley, Maybe it could be a separate part. More of a "cap" . The pulley could go on, then the "cap" then the pulley fastener. The "cap" could be of sufficient thickness and design to provide better resistance against the lateral force of the belt. Not sure if that is a possibility as I have not had an opportunity to take one of these engines apart. Just a thought.
    Mike

24. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The new pully has a fence 2x as thick. It is far far better. However it needs s spacer as the rear snout is shorter due to a change in the engine front to beef up a bearing housing making it thicker requiring a shorter pully snout. Hence the spacer for the pully on pre Spider US models or there bouts.

25. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Decided I would find TDC and mark it while I wait. Decided to use the piston stop method. The piston sticks up above the block at full stroke btw. Given that you can using a plate across the piston bolted down to the studs.

I used piston #1 which is the closest to the fire wall on the US passenger side. Turn till the piston stops, zero degree wheel to 0, then back it up (2 methods to do that) and wait until the piston hits the plate. That gives you an offset degree from the first stop which was at degreed at 0. This is essentially the 2 sides of the piston/crank dwell. If you take the offset and divide by 2 you have the true TDC.

After doing it a few times to perfect the technique of not loosening the degree wheel nut, I got 4 consecutive readings of a hair under 15 degree difference with my particular stop point as it does vary based on your stop depth there is no right number here. I turned the crank to 7 degrees from 0. I removed the degree wheel to mark the snout and noticed something interesting.... I figured I made a mistake so the wheel went back on and I did it again 2 times and got 15, then turned the motor 7 degrees from 0. Removed the degree wheel and there it was again.

My crank keyway lines up to a key slot in the bearing race. So true TDC is already set at the factory. At least on my motor. Never seen this mentioned out here before with all the posts on cam degreeing and finding TDC and setting cam timing etc. No way this "just" happened to be installed with the race slot and the crank keyway at true TDC smack in the center of the piston dwell accidently.

Attached Files: