engine swap 328 into a mondial qv | FerrariChat

engine swap 328 into a mondial qv

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by redrocks, Jan 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. redrocks

redrocks Rookie

Mar 2, 2004
    Am thinking about swaping out my broken (bent valves and possibly more) original 3.0L 83 mondial coupe engine (euro version) with an engine from an 87-328 . Owner says doable but maybe electronic control problem.
    Is this doable, will it fit, be an easy swap, electronic problems etc????
    I can purchase this engine used (17K mi) for $6K and it might be cheaper than trying to fix the existing engine (broken timing belt causing uknown damage) Rougn estimates to fix ranged from $4K to $12K plus.
    Thanks
    Wayne

2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Probably the best thing would be to find a used QV motor or get a rebuilt one from Rutlands. Even if you get the 328 motor in easily, you will need all the ignition and fuel system stuff to go with it. Also, you will have to improve the cooling system. Lastly, at resale time, it will likely be worth more with a QV motor even though the 3.2 is actually better.

DAve

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    What's the estimate on labor to swap the motor? Once you add that in the price might be similar. Has the 328 motor had a major service?

In any case, I'm no mechanic, but I do know the 328 and the 308 use different computer systems (for lack of a correct term) to control the ignition, so you're looking at some sort of conversion there. They both do use the K-jetronic injection system, so at least that should be relatively easy.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    If 3.2 is 6K, that probably will be cheaper.
    3.2 and qv engines almost identical
    Biggest difference is that 3.2 uses Microplex with one ECU, but can most likely still use your QV's 2 ECU Digiplex and not change the existing harness much if any at all.
    The 3.2 injection will also have a O2 sensor feedback that QV may or may not have had, however your old injection should also bolt right up as well.
    There may be a couple of minor other issues (e.g. vacuum lines), but should be pretty straightforward and you pick up around 20 hp in the bargain.

Sounds pretty good to me. There is an article in an older EVO magazine where a Mondial 8 guy did the same thing and now swears it's the perfect car...

Good luck, sounds pretty straight forward with some tweaks.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    There will be a LOT of issues to deal with
    1) the crank is longer on the 3.2 and it will NOT match up to the alignment of your existing water pump and alternator. teh Balancer/pulley will need to be shortened by about .060-.080
    2) the electronics are vastly different on the two engines as well as the pick-up points for the ignition. you MIGHT be able to swap out the 3.2 flywheel and use your old 3.0 flywheel to get that part worked out. Everyone (including me) that I know that has done this, had done a complete conversion to EFI.

YOU ARE IN FOR A TON-O-WORK!!!

6. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    one guy a while back tried using the digiplex then switched to the microplex and replaced the ENTIRE wiring harness--still did not work very well