Engine temperature 400 | FerrariChat

Engine temperature 400

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Martin BB, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    At the moment it's quite hot where a I live (30°C). I was adjusting the carbs with the engine idling for longer time. I noticed the water temperature became 110 °C and oil 120 °C. The radiator block has more capacity than standard and I installed bigger cooling fans. Stil the engine temperature rises very high values. Any thoughts/comments/ideas?

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    You can start the A/C and turn the Thermo/switch (snowflake) to the red zone: this will activate the AC, which will trigger the AC fan but will also stop the AC compressor. So you will have both fans running and no AC compressor (i.e less heat on the engine bay).

If you do only have 2 fans then you can install the additional fan of the later 400i (2 fans in front of the radiator, plus a yellow one in the back).

They had to rework the cooling on multiple iteration (bigger spoiler on the 400, additional ASTI fan on the 400i, no more Lucas fans for the 412 replaced by 3 ASTI fans). The early carbed car do have all these upgrades and do sure they do not like traffic jams...

If you look at the 365 manual, you can see that during summer they recommend almost as little glycol as possible in the coolant, so distilled water and water wetter could be an option during summer.

3. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I would suspect the thermostat is not opening fully, because it heats up so fast. Before it gets too hot, look at the circulation in your radiator.

Apparently 15% glycol is best for cooling plus add a product like Redline Water Wetter. Be sure to add glycol for winter if needed.
    Ken