Evans Waterless Coolant | FerrariChat

Evans Waterless Coolant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BucksTifoso, Mar 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BucksTifoso

BucksTifoso Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Furlong, PA
    Full Name:
    Randy Crownover
    I’m curious how many others have tried Evans Waterless Coolant in their cars. I noticed a leak of what appears to be coolant under the car (The car spent the winter in an inflatable bubble, so haven’t fully checked it out yet). The waterless coolant is supposed to be good for alloy engines and has a much higher boiling point than water-based coolant. I’m wondering if I’ve created any issues for the water pump since this liquid is more viscous than water. Or It may just be a radiator leak. Anyone else have good or bad experiences or thoughts on using this coolant in a Ferrari. My car is a 1998 355. Thanks!

2. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    My 456 was converted to EvansCool before I acquired it from the previous owner: as such I don't have any before-and-after points of reference. Keep in mind these V12s do run hot and the previous owner lived in New Orleans, so I assume the switch was caused by a desire for higher-efficiency cooling.

The car has been running on that stuff for about 20,000 miles with seemingly no ill effects. No water pump issues, and the peculiar smell of the Evans coolant makes it very easy to know when you have a leak - however small.

jcbam likes this.
  3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I have run it in my F cars and my L car for years in both cool and hot climates (Toronto and Dubai) as well as a few motorcycles without issue. Would recommend it for corrosion and boil over protection. No adverse effects on water pump seal life that I can discern.

jcbam likes this.
  4. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Evans is actually a lower efficiency coolant than pure water or a 50/50 mix, and it has a higher specific gravity than pure water or 50/50, so the coolant pump will pump a lower flow. It does have one redeeming quality that makes it VERY suitable for our wet liner engines, and that's its extremely high boiling point, and its resistance to cavitation.

Liner pitting is a well documented problem in wet liner engines, including Ferraris, and Evans does a great job at combating this.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you look on YouTube in Jay Leno's Garage there are a couple of videos with good technical information. I am planning on putting it in my cars as they start needing coolant changes.

6. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Do you carry around some in case of a problem and some escapes? Can you mix with water or coolant?

7. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I just keep a jug in the garage - I don't carry it in the trunk.

Lastly, EvansCool should never be mixed with water: the instructions provided with that product are very specific about it. Water + EvansCool will not cause damage to the engine but will decrease the efficacy of the product.